Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-14-2021, 04:54 PM
Supporting Member

Default .17 vs .20

Model 7/.378 bf needs to go to work.

Which caliber has a wider selection of bullets, factory and custom, available?
Keep reading folks lamenting 'can't get X cal ABC grain any more.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:06 PM

Definitely theres more 20 cal bullets out there, but I do like 17's also.
204 and 17 fireball are about the only factory offerings that I can think of.
Define your distance you wanna shoot then pick the case and bullet to achieve that.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:34 PM

I hope this thread gets a lot of comments because I am also interested in what users of both calibers have to say. I currently shoot a 20VT and 20TAC but have never had a 17 in which to compare. My thoughts are they are too close in diameter / caliber with the 20 shooting a littler heavier bullet will surpass any benefit of a 17.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:40 PM

The 17's work really well in high volume rat patchs, keeps the barrel heat down, they are a little tricky in the wind but they do have there place.
On calm days fast 17's have no problems out to 300yards and probably little farther.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:55 PM

With the demand so high today for ammo and bullets, it is probably determined a lot by the economics of the manufacturers. Berger dropped several 17 bullets a few years ago and the 204 Ruger then came out with its high velocity. Remington dropped several of their factory loads for 17s a few years ago. To paraphrase P.O. Ackley's books, the "high velocity of the 17s kills like an electric light switch" (on\off). It also depends on the size of the game you are trying to shoot.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

if you are saving fur the 17 is more friendly on smaller game, fox and the like. the 204 works just as well on coyote size critters. both work well on ground hogs, ground squirrels and prairie dogs.
it may be a little easier to find 17 bullets right now compared to .204. berger 17's seem to be everywhere.

let's go brandon
Old 12-14-2021, 07:24 PM

Default 17 and 20

I have the 17 fb and Rem. Also the 204 R and 20 vt. All are great cartridges. If you are shooting PDs all are equally good, some have a little more range. If you are after coyotes, I’ve had issues when shooting the south side of northbound coyotes, with the 17s.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:30 PM

Not that the bullet selection is stellar for the 20's but it's definitely better than it is for the 17's.

It's a lot of personal choice and in saying that I'm a bigger fan of 20's than I am 17's.

barretcreek, I think your Model 7 would make for a great 20-222 or 20Practical aka 20-223 build but if a 17 cal is what you decide a 17-222 or 17-223 would be a great choice as well.

If you decide on a 20 cal make sure you get a barrel that is at least an 11 twist.

Last edited by B23; 12-14-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:55 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
if you are saving fur the 17 is more friendly on smaller game, fox and the like. the 204 works just as well on coyote size critters. both work well on ground hogs, ground squirrels and prairie dogs.
it may be a little easier to find 17 bullets right now compared to .204. berger 17's seem to be everywhere.

let's go brandon
Lol..!! Yes to all of this...... Let's go brandon indeed..!!

For me they are different enough that it's not an either/or proposition where I would chose one bore diameter versus the other as being better for everything. In my world, 17's and 20's serve the same AND different purposes very well based on cartridge sizes and what type of critters I'm after.

For years I have had excellent results with the 17 Remington on coyotes. That said I'd choose the 17 Remington over my much newer Tac 20/204 Ruger/rifles for coyotes, even though the 204's "might be" better coyote killers for someone else.

In the smaller cartridges where more direct comparisons between the two can be made by comparing both bore diameters in like sized cartridges (17 M4/17 FB versus 20 VT for example), I'd choose the 20 VT simply because it's so well balanced for many purposes where lighter bullets in either bore diameter are a given. For pd's or groundhogs, I could go out the door with either bore diameter, but the 20 VT would be my cartridge of choice while recognizing that what one bore diameter will do, so will the other for the intended purpose.

So, if you can follow my own personal twisted reasoning, I don't want to try living without both bore diameters. Years ago and long before the 20 caliber/204 Ruger was invented , I considered going 19 caliber, but I couldn't find any advantages for choosing it over a 17 or a 20. But that's just me.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-15-2021, 01:09 AM

I've never shot a .204 caliber but know several that do.
So far, the ONLY bullet I've seen/heard of that does well is the 35 Bergers.

I have 2 .17_.204s and have killed hundreds of coyotes (mostly called in) with them..
One is set up for Nagel 30:s, the other for Bergers 25 match.
I also shot .243 and 22_250's and I'll take the .17's anyday with frontal/broadside shots out to 400 yards.
Pure magic!!
Sadly, the price of good coyotes are falling fast, so is my enthusiastic to travel far to kill them.
May sell the whole works?