Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-28-2022, 10:13 PM

Default Ruger 77 pillar

My son recently bought a 1975 ruger 77 in 220 swift. Great shape, so we decided we would put it in a different stock. So he got an used laminated stock, with the wide channel, his barrel is about .910. So we were going to pillar bed the stock with a brownells kit for the ruger 77. The problem is this kit says it will not work with the 77vt. I believe his is the vt model, as I called ruger and they said it was the varmint model. I believe it is suppose to have a different trigger than the regular 77. The trigger pull is about 1.25 lbs. Gun looked untouched, but must have had the trigger worked. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knew why the pillar kit was not suppose to work on the vt model. As I said we have now gotten an after market stock that has the wide channel, I do not even know the make. I just did not want to bed or do any work on the factory stock, as it is nice, and the metal is great also. I never worked on a Ruger, and do not care for the front angled screw. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:29 PM

I always set the pillars first then come back and bed the action. The M77 is a PITA dealing with that 45 degree action screw. Other than that I have done them just like other actions. It's been a long time since I have worked on one. I mostly use Devcon Steel Putty around the pillars and lug and Score Hi Pro Bed most everywhere else.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:51 PM

I plan on doing the pillars first, but am wondering why the pillars may not work with the vt model. Called brownells today, but the fellow said I must call back earlier in the day when the gun techs are in.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:55 PM

I'm wondering if may be the Brownell's kit is referencing the MK2 version of the Ruger rifle. The original tang safety models trigger went thru three versions that I can remember. The first was an adjustable trigger with adjustment screws and a bolt lock tab. Then it lost the bolt lock tab so the bolts would open with the safety on. At this time the actions lost the bolt lock tab slot also. And then the triggers were made nonadjustable. But the basic shape and design remained the same throughout. I could well be misremembering but I'm a lefty (the safety works pretty slick if you're a lefty) and owned more than a few of the tang safety rifles including half a dozen or so Swifts. I'm currently down to a single 338 with the original style trigger.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:58 PM

A quick question is your trigger silver or blued? The above is about the blued trigger tang safety models. At some point in time, they changed over to a silver-colored trigger, and I don't have any experience with them. My apologize.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:32 AM

My buddy says the 77VT is the Varmint Tactical. He has a hella bunch of M77 rifles and is stumped. He’s going to take a look and see if he can figure out what would account for a difference in bedding pillars.

He got back and said it could be a Varmint Target. The VT Varmint Tactical and VLE Varmint Law Enforcement have a two stage trigger in them.

Last edited by JDHasty; 06-29-2022 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:57 AM

I think I may have an answer to the question. The front pillar could be too short for the heavier VT stock.

Rick Steinhour at Extreme Rifle Works has given me a lot of bedding advice over the years. https://www.extremerifleworks.com/
If you were to give him a call I bet he can give you the answer without even having to think about it.

Last edited by JDHasty; 06-29-2022 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:44 AM

Gun has blue trigger, and seems to have the bolt lock. You can raise the handle but it will not come back with safety on. Thanks for everybodies replies.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:19 PM

I've pillar bedded a 77 in .250 Sav with the angled forend screw. I used homemade pillars & yes it was a PIA! Your rifle is not .458 Win so use some fitted thin tubing for pillars. That should be plenty to stop any compression changes in the wood to action fit. Or just glass bed, go shoot & have fun. You can go back later & add pillars if it better suits you.

Sounds like a neat rifle & neat project. I'm anxious to hear how the .220 shoots!
Old 06-29-2022, 01:39 PM

After measuring I believe that the problem would be the pillars are too short. I believe I can make a spacer, or was thinking about using the bedding as a filler on the bottom of the stock, in the hole. Think a spacer would be best. I believe either way, I may still have to bed, under the trigger guard, and the front mag plate. I like remingtons.