Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-12-2015, 04:03 PM

Default Off topic slug reloading

Hey I'm playing around with my 20 gauge slug gun. I have on order some 20 guage slugs r us sabot pressure wads and some 44 cal 240 gr xtp hornady bullets. Anyone play with these before? Any suggestions or advice. I know they are roll crimp, and sensitive to oal. I bought nitro cards and other things to play with heights. Just looking for anyone that has been down this road before. I loaded my own Lyman slugs last year with good accuracy but they are a brick and drop like a canon ball past 50 yds.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 08-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Supporting Member

shotgunworld.com has a forum on slug guns and slug reloading. Precision Reloading sells a lot of slug related stuff. Bought a used rifle barrel which had Foster type slugs shot in it. PITA to clean; need ChoreBoy pure copper scouring pads and lead remover -can't remember the brand. Add sweat.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Lee makes a slug mold if you want to cast your own.
Dixie Gun works sells wads for most anything too.

Good luck, have fun and be safe!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-22-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
Hey I'm playing around with my 20 gauge slug gun. I have on order some 20 guage slugs r us sabot pressure wads and some 44 cal 240 gr xtp hornady bullets. Anyone play with these before? Any suggestions or advice. I know they are roll crimp, and sensitive to oal. I bought nitro cards and other things to play with heights. Just looking for anyone that has been down this road before. I loaded my own Lyman slugs last year with good accuracy but they are a brick and drop like a canon ball past 50 yds.
Interesting, my brother's 3" field piece shot pretty flat on the 300 meter range, with cast iron round balls using 1/2 pound powder. LOL

You can safely start with shot loads of same weight and progress as pressure signs indicate. OR - start with known loads (Lyman 5th edition shotshell loading manual) for heavier bullets, chronographing and progressing from there, according to pressure signs indicate.

I using .44 (.429" or .430") I'd keep them around 300gr. of maybe 320gr. The 5th edition gives data for the 345gr. Foster and 350gr. Sabot bullets in 20 bore. You should easily be able to extrapolate loads from those. Start safe, stay safe.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:46 PM

I have used the 12 gauge Lyman Slug mold and slugs, they worked well in my H&R Ultra 80 slug gun.
Have your heard of Ballistic Products? Lots of different slugs to choose from a long with manuals on reloading slugs.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Slu...s/products/71/
Old 08-22-2015, 11:11 PM

Yeah thanks guys. I've ordered from ballistic products before. I think I'm going to use the bird shot data. The 240 gr 44 bullet is just different from the standard 300 and 350 gr slug data so I thought I would ask. I like the Lyman slug but past 70 yds its ballistics is like a brick. I feel like it falls out of the sky. I wanted the smaller better ballistic bullet for consistent 100-125 yd shots without drastic drop. And I like to tinker and play. I just usually tinker within the bounds of a good load book.I have the Lyman manual so I'm going to do some digging and comparisons. Just figured some one may have a majic recipe.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:37 AM

In the .430" bullets, I do think the 265gr. Hornady might work for you, but the 300's could still be best for retaining killing power past 100yards.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:06 PM

When you swap data for a given slug weight and bird shot do you take into account the difference in wad weight as well? The sabots I have weigh more then a. Average wad. Wondering if it's total payload weight including wad or without wad.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
Have some 1040gr .622 slugs I shoot in my 20ga rifled Encore barrel with 100 gr of IMR 7383. Not a load for those with a tender shoulder. Why?? I have dreams of a Texas pig hunt at a friends place so I can flatten one of beasts with it.

John
Old 09-02-2015, 05:48 AM

Default slugs

Have a look in castboolits.gunloads.com. I've just got interested in slug loads in a rifled shotgun barrel and I went through the pages of data and range reports and just about everything I could think of which is on that site. It was a marathon but there is everything you could possibly want to consider and everything you have not even considered considering.