Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-26-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBob3701 View Post
Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas are right next to each other, separated by the Missouri River north of Downtown and State Line road the rest of the way. The American Civil War started here. Missouri around KC was strongly pro Confederate, Kansas pro Union. The ost famous people from Missouri were Jesse and Frank James as well as the Younger brothers and other assorted miscreants. Kansas produced the murderous terrorist John Brown and the horrible Jay Hawkers.

Bob
Lest we forget Missouri's pride and joy, Quantrill's Raiders, whom the James brothers and Youngers were rumored to be a part of. This band massacred some 150 men and boys in the town of Lawrence, Kansas before setting fire to over 25% of the town. But certainly a good point about the origin of the civil war.

I think it's safe to say these two states have always "hated" each other, which makes the shared border in the town of Kansas City all the more fascinating. And until Missouri bolted for the SEC, made some interesting "border wars" in football and basketball.

Thanks for sharing BulletBob!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:10 AM

Kiwi, Warrenton, MO is about 200 miles East of either KC, K or KC, MO.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Yes, my wife and I were there several years ago. I did a lot of fly fishing. We flew into Canterbury saw gardens, went punting on the Avon and had high tea. Had a lovely drive to the west coast. Spent the night at The Green Acres Motel in a spa built to rehabilitate soldiers from The Great War. Enjoyed seeing a glow worm grotto, Was amazed at the one lane road and railroad bridges. Spent a couple of days at Queens town. Flew through the mountains to Millford Sound and finished our visit at Napier. What a wonderful and beautiful country. We loved it. Best food I've ever eaten. Friendliest people.

Bob
Bob you have seen some of the best country New Zealand has to offer, I am assuming the trip was before the earthquakes in Christchurch, Canterbury?
The Arthurs pass (east to west coast) is beautiful country and so is the West Coast and Fiordland.

There is one thing about New Zealand the diversity of the landscape in such a small set of Islands.

If we have some spare time we would like to come and visit, but at this point I am unsure of how things will work out. Perhaps closer to the middle of September we will have a better idea.

Eric that would be great if you could PM me those details, Thanks........Kiwi

Last edited by Kiwishooter; 08-27-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:23 PM

Yes it was before the earth quakes. And we were in ChristChurch not Canturbury.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Yes it was before the earth quakes. And we were in ChristChurch not Canturbury.
Bob, Christchurch is in Canterbury........Canterbury is like a state in the US.

Well We are just about to walk out the door, in 10 minutes time we get picked up to go to the airport........then after some flights and waiting we arrive in LA around 9am on Saturday.........a few Saturdays all rolled into one to follow..........Kiwi
Old 08-29-2015, 06:38 PM
Supporting Member

Well a few hours after leaving we arrived in LA 1/4 hour before our first departure flight.

They even let us into the USA....kiwi
Old 08-29-2015, 07:10 PM

As they should! You all at least speak English and I've yet to hear of a terrorist from New Zealand. But then I didn't think we had 90 old women and little babies that have to be searched

Bob
Old 08-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Supporting Member

I just had lunch with Kiwi and his wife. Great talking guns, shooting, and even comparing our terrible laws (CA vs. NZ), with like-minded folks from another part of the world!

Eric
Old 08-30-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I've yet to hear of a terrorist from New Zealand
Obviously you have never heard of the All Blacks Rugby team

Pete
Old 08-31-2015, 09:29 PM
Supporting Member

Well we are in Brazil Indiana at the moment, I've just spent the best part of today packaging and shipping boxes out, some to NZ and some to people in the US.

Quite a warm day compared to NZ.

It was great catching up with Eric and finding out the differences between Ca and Iowa and the differences between NZ and Ca for firearms ownership.

Oh and the difference in ammo prices...........just trying to figure a way of taking a truckload home when we leave.

Eric THANKS for the hospitality and your time.....everyone I've met on this board has been fantastic, hopefully I'll meet a few more on this trip...........kiwi