Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-27-2015, 05:07 PM

Default .20 Vartarg

Hey guys, I just recently put together a .20 Vartarg based on a Rem 700 (fireball action). A gunsmith from E.R. Shaw did the fitting for me. He basically took a short chambered Shilen Rem Varmint contour barrel I got from MidWayUSA and fitted it to my fireball action which he also lapped the locking lugs on. I have it all set into a really nice Cobalt blue Stocky's thumbhole stock with full aluminum bedding block.
Here's the rub. I tried forming brass from once fired .223 Fed brass. Not much luck, can't get brass to either fit or when it does fit it is either too tight or it blows the primers out (load is 17.5 to 18.0 gr of AA-1680 and a Hornady 32 V-Max). I am using Redding bushing dies and have the body "bump" die. It is supposed to be a 0.2325 neck according to smith. Trimmed brass to 1.396, head measures 0.374 to 0.3745ish and mouth/neck on a fired case measure 0.232ish. The neck measures 0.230 with a bullet in it on loaded ammo. Want to try regular .221 Rem brass so I shouldn't have to neck turn. Can't find any Remington .221 Fireball brass anywhere? Anyone know where I can find a hundred pieces of new Rem .221 brass?

Stevie_ray

PS: how do you make attachments here? Cause I know you guys probably what a picture of it

Last edited by stevie_ray1998; 08-27-2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-27-2015, 05:19 PM

Default 20 vt

I have had good luck with High Plains Brass. Now I see they make it for 20 VT.
I use AA 2200 reduced a little (Mil Brass) and CCI 450's. Have you annealed your cases?? sgtg out
Old 08-27-2015, 05:23 PM

Roger that, annealed all brass. Thinking is tightly chambered perhaps?
Old 08-27-2015, 05:45 PM

Stevie, I make VT brass from .223/5.56 brass regularly. I have a print out that I usually send with my brass that is sold. It lists the steps I use to form it. If you would like a copy of it, PM me your email address.

IMHO opinion, the High Plains brass is formed quite well. I played with a sampling of it awhile back. Just so you are aware, it will need: Neck turned and annealed. Primer pockets uniformed and flash holes de-burred. Keep in mind this is reclaimed brass. That means it will be mixed head stamps, although all of it should be Lake City.

If you are interested in VT brass from new, unfired LC brass let me know. I am a couple of weeks away from being caught up. This is fire-form ready.

Last I saw, Nosler FB brass was on the shelf at several different vendors.

Last edited by ramos; 08-27-2015 at 05:47 PM. Reason: correction.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:13 PM

Default 20 VT brass

Stevie,

You can buy Nosler, Norma and Lapua 221 FB brass from Midway. Cabelas has Nosler. Bullets.com has Norma.

Lapua with seated bullet is .230 to .2305 (according to Todd Kindler) which is on the tight side but should work. A bigger problem with Lapua is the base diameter is .375 which is .001 larger than the reamer diameter spec. Norma and Nosler don't have that isssue. Todd said you could possibly have the base area of the chamber polished out a couple thousandths to make room for the Lapua brass but you are still dealing with a tight neck clearance. Beware if using in dusty conditions.

Phil
Old 08-27-2015, 11:36 PM

I think Harold hit the nail on the head you need to bump your shoulders back I have had the same problem forming from 223 brass bump the shoulder back on one some more and try it I think that is your ptoblem anneal also that will help.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:09 AM

Default 20 vt

I would save yourself a lot of work and buy some case's from Ramo's and go from there. The were a couple others selling form 20 Vt or 221 FB brass, but they are not doing so, right now, I believe. One was Adam Bentley. Contact Ramos, is what I would do. Bill K
Old 08-28-2015, 12:13 AM

If you don't want to mess with it +1 for Ramos brass.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Sherm View Post
If you don't want to mess with it +1 for Ramos brass.
Agreed!
Old 08-29-2015, 04:34 AM

Recently made up a .20 VT and had heard all kinds of reports on the difficulty of making brass for it. Following instructions in Kindler's original article, I ran new Rem. .221 brass through a ( Hornady) FL sizing die with Imperial sizing lube on it (and inside the neck) and they chamber perfectly. Haven't lost any fireforming so far. Plan on annealing after all have been fireformed. A member here graciously loaned me his reamer and another member fixed me up with some new brass.