Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2015, 01:41 PM

Default 20 vt

SBS. The part about all the problems, etc. with making 20 VT brass, is mostly the effort and work in making them from .223 case's sized, formed, trimmed down. It is work, but can be done. As for forming from 221 FB case's, it is a piece of cake and very easy. Enjoy you 20 VT. Bill K
Old 08-29-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Vartarg

Not that this will help, since I have no experience forming from 223. But I most certainly agree that forming 20 VT from Remington 221 Cases is a breeze, I made and shot 1250 so far this year, I lost ten to split neck when sizing down. I made 500 221 Fireball rounds from Lapua brass and only lost one to split neck. I have also loaded 300 pieces of 17 Fireball twice now and haven't lost any of those. I have been trying to stay away from sized down brass to avoid from have to neck turn and anneal. Good luck and let us know how your problem turns out. The easiest thing to do would be to find some Remington brass if at all possible.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:36 PM

Thanks to everyone for all your replies and comments, much appreciated. Yes, right now my thinking is to just find some Remington .221 Fireball brass (which right now is like hens teeth)

If there is someone out there who would be willing to part with 20 cases or so of Rem .221 brass just so I can shoot the damn thing until I can find some. Yes I know I can get Lapua brass, but at this point, I just want something I know I can put through my 0.229 bushing and shoot.

Thanks again for all the comments.

PS: I will pay for the 20 pieces of brass.

Stevie Ray
Old 08-31-2015, 05:56 PM

Default 20 vt

PM sent your way. Bill K
Old 08-31-2015, 06:28 PM

The FB brass is the quickest, easiest way to end up with VT brass. It will, just so you know, be a tad on the short side. Bothers some guys, does not mean a thing to many others. Yes, I am biased towards forming it from good 'ole LC .223/5.56 brass. That being said, I am simply trying to get ALL of the facts on the table. No matter what brass you use, or how you form it, I am always tickled to hear about another shooter adding the wonderful VT to their collection. Impossible to shoot one without smiling from ear to ear!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:31 AM

HSM - the Hunting Shack - produces loaded 20vt ammo. Buy a box of ammo from them, shoot it, and reload. Download their product list of ammo here: http://thehuntingshack.com/?page_id=29

Burt