Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17 Velociraptor ??

Looking for some advice regarding the 17 Velociraptor. One of you guys sent me some "collectable" cartridges about a year ago and this little guy was in the mix.
What action works with this case?
I am guessing a falling block would be the simplest action to use.
Where do you find the cases? Dies available?
I am thinking of this as a future build.

BHB
Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I bought the VR from Foxhunter and had enough troubles with it feeding and ejecting that TODAY I shipped it to Cooper by UPS: $28.56 ins for $1500.

The ejectors are loose in the groove's real bad, hooks are way too long they won't hold the case head anywhere near the bolt face.

The mag front lip sticks up almost 1/8" higher than the top bullet tip, no wonder it won't feed.
I called: ???Rick?? at Coopers c/s the other day and explained these things and he said to send it in, he'd make sure it was fixed to work like it should.

My other gun in this cart is chambered a bit deeper. It's a NEF single shot. I'd highly recommend you don't go that route. I had a dozen head scratcher problems to sort out and had to send it to two other guys to help figure it out.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Supporting Member

Default Forget about it.

Thanks guys. George I feel your frustration. I can feel my blood pressure going up thinking about dealing with problems I don't need. Adam, as we all know, is full of it. Advice that is. He walked me through the process of owning one. He has a good idea of my patience when things don't go my way. (I wasn't an only child, I just act like it).
17 AH does everything and more than the Velociraptor.
Adam still preaching the 17 Mink. I know he is right but don't want him to know this.

Appears I will remain Velociraptor free!

BHB
Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Supporting Member

My wife told me the same thing, maybe you guys are right. Adam
Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Adam:
I went with this cartridge as it was just what I'd been looking for at least ten yrs.
Small, quiet, fast vel's, accurate, cheap to load for. At the time I started looking for a very small .17 I was offered a MIV. After hearing it go off a few times I knew it was too much for my desires and needs. So I kept looking until I got on here with you guys and several sent me dummy rnds and brass for quite a few to ponder over.
When foxhunter sent one from this same rifle that was the one I'd wanted all along. I never expected he'd decide to sell this gun when I happened to have the funding in hand. When he offered it at a price I felt/feel was plumb reasonable I didn't hesitate to go for it. Then getting to meet him and his lovely wife at their place in the woods was a bonus.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Supporting Member

No, I know about the small rounds. That's why in the last 1 1/2yrs I have put over two thousand rounds through the 22 Mink. Adam