Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 PM

I have made 17 rem from 222mag which the 204 is based off of. I have used w748 in it an used normal published load data with no problems.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Supporting Member

Chickenthief—thank you for supplying this information to me. I will definitely tread lightly when I get to the upper end of the powder charge weights. I have a feeling I probably won't make it to the middle of the suggested powder weight charges. I just want an accurate load that fires out there at a reasonable speed.

cavscout68—That's more of the kind of information I am looking for. Thank you!!!

NRA Life Member
Old 09-25-2014, 06:52 PM

In the larger calibre rounds I shoot, RP and Fed brass are usually very close in capacity. WW brass usually has the highest capacity (thinnest brass). This seems to hold true for all rounds except for the .22 Hornet, where the RP case is thinner and has 9.2% greater capacity than the WW case.

Was the converted .204 case fireformed and trimmed to length before weighing?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:13 AM
Supporting Member

Daryl--as stated in my post made on 6-9-2014 at 9:19 a.m. the casing was 1.787" long. It was a fire formed casing.

NRA Life Member
Old 09-30-2014, 11:29 AM

I was going to make 17 remington brass but now that Nosler .17 Remington brass is available I am not going to bother with it.
Pete
Old 10-01-2014, 03:59 AM
Supporting Member

Foxhunter223--The .17 Remington rifle I formed brass for out of .204 Ruger brass was built back in the spring of 2010. Unfortunately, there was no Nosler brass available back then or I would have used Nosler brass.

I bought 300 of the Nosler .17 Remington factory second casings awhile back and have them in my reloading room. I have not loaded any test ammo for them yet. Many of these blems have folds or creases in the shoulders or necks. Of those 300 casings there were 167 of them that had the creases and 133 casings that were blemish free. Some of the folds/creases are deep enough that I feel they could eventually wind up opening up and releasing gases into the chamber. I actually had a couple of the casings I formed from WW .204 Ruger into .17 Remington split at the point of the crease in the neck. No damage was done to the chamber, but I won't be using any of the casings that have serious folds or creases any longer. I'll do the same with this Nosler brass.

I sent Nosler five sample casings. They sent three of the casings back and said they fired them in a test rifle and checked how well they stood up under pressure and said they were OK. They did send me an additional 100 blems. Out of the 100 new casings they sent, 65 of them had creases or folds and 35 of them were OK. Most of the creases or folds are very minor and should pose no problem. The ones that have serious creases will be culled and not used. I'll just have to try the rest of them and see how they hold up. I'm anticipating the purchase of a new match reamer from PT&G and having a new barrel installed on a Remington 700 BDL action I bought awhile back. I'm planning on using the Nosler brass in that newly rebarreled rifle. I will be neck turning this brass for the newly anticipated barrel.

I have been checking Nosler's Website frequently but I never find any factory second .17 Remington brass for sale. I did see that Brownell's has factory first Nosler .17 Remington brass in stock for $79.99/100. That's a pretty good price because other online merchants have it priced all the way up to nearly $100/100.

Please file a report on your experience with the Nosler .17 Rem brass.

NRA Life Member
Old 10-01-2014, 08:19 AM

Silverfox I have not bought any of the Nosler brass yet, but saw it at the local GS for $100 and should have bought it while it was in stock. Of course they don't have any at the moment

I was lucky in so much that for the last few years I have had a good supply of 17 Rem cases as a mate who lives in the States sent me a heap ( nearly 100 ). I also was given another 100 from a friend who sold his Sako 17 Rem and no longer needed the cases. Then a couple years ago I lucked on a hundred brand new cases at a GS I was looking through. My average is I loose 10% of 17 Rem cases every time I fire them to either split necks or cases. I have never seen seconds cases out here for sale and doubt I ever will.

I will write a report of the Noslers when I can get some as I am quite keen to try them.

Pete
Old 10-01-2014, 11:08 AM

Foxhunter, I spose you would have tried BRT for Nosler brass, they might have some.