Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-15-2007, 10:46 PM

Default 17 Reminigton improved

Does anyone know anything about improved versions of the 17 Remington? I am aware of the 17 Tactical based on the 223. Why don't we hear about 30 degree plus shoulders being put on the 17 Remington case?

I am thinking about its application with the newer heavier high BC bullets that are available.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

When I was looking at building a 17 Rem Imp it was said that the quality of brass was not as good as what is available in 223....

That said I really want to do one some day because I had good luck with Big Game powder and the 30 gr bullets but the 17 Rem case was a tad small making me think that an imp version would be just the ticket...

Weaver Riffle got a reamer in about a year or so ago and I do believe that Kevin built one for someone maybe here on Saubier???

Sounds like a great project and please keep us inform on you progress if you decide to do it!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:21 PM

If a 17 Remington is considered over bore; how much are you really gaining with an improved version?

Qaz
Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Board Sponsor

He's looking at increasing the case capacity for the longer heavier bullets, and for those the .17 Rem is not overbore at all.

You may look at going to the .17-222 mag (I forgot the reamer name) or something on the PPC case. I know there are a bunch here that have experience with this use.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 08-16-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Ballistic Coefficients

If you are going to base a 17 cal choice due to an improvement in Ballistic Coefficients I think you need to look at BC's and what they can do for you.

If you were thinking of the Berger 37 gr. bullet, I would not recommend it.
The rotation you need and the velocity you will get with the larger 17 cal. case will cause them to turn to smoke just past the muzzle.

17 cal stuff is not about Ballistic Coefficients. It is about speed and speed only. Go ahead and build a 17 Rem. Improved but gear it for speed not BC improvements. It would be cool to see what it would do with a 20 gr. VMAX and some H322.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS: is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:58 PM

Default 17 Improved

A 32 gn Vmax .20 bullet has a BC of .210. A Woodchuck Den 30 gn .17 bullet has a reported BC around .270.

A .204 ruger case is bigger than a 17 remington case and hence can drive the 32 gn bullet considerably faster. There are .17-223 cases with 30 degree shoulders but I have note seen a 17 remington case changed to 30 degree with the case neck length reduced.

The .204 ruger case is a bit long in old .223 actions where you still want to use a magazine and seat the bullets where you want them.

The 17 remington case is longer than the .223 but shorter than .204 ruger and .222 magnum.

A ppc means changing bolt face, extractor and feed rails.