Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 AM
Supporting Member

Default 1964 vintage 700 ADL in 222 Remington.....

What's it worth.....? Serial number is 5 digits - 74XXX..........

An old guy down the street has this rifle and it is probably 98%+ on the bluing. Even the metal, mag box, etc. under the stock level looks new. It has sat in a coat closet for the past 20 years with occasional wipe downs and oiling of metal.

The stock is in very good condition as far as dings go, but the 60's vintage thick varnish finish is age cracked in numerous place. He had sling swivel studs installed by a gun smith. Very good job and they come with white spacer which were big back then.

The rife has been shot some, but it has never had a scope mounted on it. Old style 700 sights are in place. Original aluminum butt plate. Metal trigger guard. The bore looks mint. The rifle is old enough that the action has the old style stripper clip slot cut into the rear bridge like the early 700's had.

The wood appears to have some good color variations and streaks in it, but no crotch wood or anything like that...

Anyway..........what would be a fair price for all involved to pay for it? Does the age and condition do anything for its value...? If I buy it, the varnish will go and it will get replaced with an oil finish...

TIA - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-03-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Supporting Member

Value I can't say. But I can tell you the guns from pre 64 are very sought after. As a collectible the last thing you want to do is redo the stock. The collectors want the rifles in original condition. The cracking is very appealing to them.

I found one rifle listed for sale.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/994454774...DL_222_MAG.htm
Old 04-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Supporting Member

I understand the collector issues. As does the owner..... I told him where he could get a fair appraisal value on the rifle close to where we both live, and I encouraged him to get it appraised as is. However, if I buy it, it will be a shooter and not a collector piece, so the stock gets re-done.

I'm just trying to get a ball park idea for a fair price on an old rifle. I want to be fair to the guy, but I don't want to go crazy either. It's nothing rare or unique.... Its a nice rifle as is for a collector, but I want it only as a shooter.

Thanks.........

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Supporting Member

BCB,

I picked up this old 722 in 222 mag. a while back. The blueing is about 90%. It is not a factory stock and it has the addition of 725 bottom metal.
The stock work was professionally done and the floorplate installation looks great. For comparison purposes I gave $700. for this one....

Aaron
Old 04-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Default Fair Price

$300 and no looking back, bought a Ruger 77 V this year for that and it included dies. Nice rifle longshot, good caliber.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR
Old 04-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Supporting Member

Default Value

Any complete 700, ie action and bolt can generally bring 3-350.00. That ADL with it's original buttplate, in 222Rem, in that condition will probably go north of 500.00 real quick in a auction on GB. To me that rifle is a prime "keeper", not to be confused with the many donor 700's that pass through our hands, and only a few will know and appreciate what it is. You'll know who those people are, their eyes will glaze over, they'll try not to overtly glare at it and will finish off with making some lame comment like, "let me know if you ever want to dump it". I would consider 500.00 to be at the bottom of retail value and if I made that offer I would cross my fingers and hope someone else didn't find it. Still no one, including me likes to pay retail. As for the stock I would strip it put a nice oil finish on it and shoot it. On a "keeper" I don't consider the collectability, I like to pick it up and like what I see, must be a Texas thing. If you get it, pics please.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-03-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks, Chuck....

We seem to agree 100% on "keepers" as this is what this rifle is to me. So I want the stock to look good in my eyes - oil finish it is. Maybe it is a Texas "thing".

I'm not worried about "looking back".... But, I do want to be able to look down the street and wave at the guy knowing we both got a good deal on a rifle he no longer needs. He doesn't need to sell it for the money. He just causally told me about it and he said he thought I might be interested. And I want to give him a fair price in return....

Thanks again.....

-BCB

Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 AM

Is your "old guy down the street" named Bob ? Could be an odd coincidence coming up?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recko555 View Post
Is your "old guy down the street" named Bob ? Could be an odd coincidence coming up?
Nope........... No Bob involved here.... me or him....

-BCB

Old 04-04-2011, 01:53 AM

FWIW: a guy over on www.rimfirecentral.com (centerfire classifieds) has had a Model 722 in good-to-very good condition for sale for a few weeks. $489.