Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-30-2014, 06:29 AM

Hey ramos,
There's "Engineers".....Then there's Engineers. Ha.
Ken.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manc-munsters View Post
I just saw on their website that Custom Reloading will not sell or ship over seas.

This is unfortunate as I live in the UK.

f anyone has any other leads to a set of dies, or a supplier who is willing to ship over seas, please feel free to let me know

Regards

Russ
Russ you could try spud1967 on " uk varminting " foram who gets allot of the hard to get bits . i doubt midway uk would - but good luck
Old 07-30-2014, 11:59 AM

I used to import all sorts of shooting related goods from the US years ago. Bullets, cases, dies, scopes, lots of stuff.
After 9/11 tho, lots of the people I dealt with quoted the Patriot Act and were not willing to risk exporting to the UK.

It has even got so bad that, on a hunting trip to Georgia last year, Gander Mountain refused to sell me a new rifle scope on account of my accent! In the end my pal, a Georgian lad, bought the scope with my cash and I just put it in my hand luggage. Mad thing was that I had no hassle at all taking a Sako 308 and ammo in to the US and back again in to the UK!

I would just like to clarify re CRT. It was the website that stated no international sales or shipping. I have had several very helpful emails from Brad at CRT but he has no 5/35 dies left in stock and Redding have stopped producing them. I have no doubt in my mind that Brad would have helped if he could have, and I find it a real shame I can not do some trade with him as he seems a great guy.

I have emailed several "custom die" makers but none can help. I have also emailed about 30 different stores in the USA to see if anyone has a set of dies lying on a shelf. I have had no positive replies yet.

But I will keep trying, and I thank all you guys for your suggestions and your input.

kindest regards

Russ
Old 07-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Supporting Member

Russ have you tried John Whidden at www.whiddengunworks.net ? I recently got several 20 cal custom dies from him. Quality appears very good and at 110.00 for a FL Bushing die, very reasonable.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:45 PM

Hi Ray

I have visited John's shop a couple of times when I have been hunting in Georgia, so he was my first point of contact.
I sent him some fired cases but, after a while mulling it over, he decided he would not be able to cut the parabolic shoulder.
Pity because Whidden are good people to deal with and I have had the pleasure of a guided tour of the shop so I know how good the work is.

The only lead I have so far is from Hornady. They have requested some fired cases so they can quote me for a set of custom dies. I have shipped them off by air mail today, so may get an answer in a couple of weeks time

Other than that, its just a case of keeping my quest in the minds of people who may hear of a forgotten set hanging around

I have had a very kind offer, from a forum member, to act as an intermediary if I can find a set from someone who is not willing to ship to the UK

Last edited by manc-munsters; 07-30-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
Russ you could try spud1967 on " uk varminting " foram who gets allot of the hard to get bits . i doubt midway uk would - but good luck
Thanks Gunner, I'll give Spud a try too
Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 PM

Well Gunner, looks like Spud could be the man

Emailed him last night. He rang Savage, who gave him the number of one of the inventors. He rang him, and he is ready for putting a small run of dies in to production again soon.

Still to be confirmed, but this is the most positive lead I have had yet. He can supply me with a seating and FL dies set.

I have also sent fired cases to Hornady for them to quote on a neck sizing die

Fingers crossed!!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:13 PM

Default Looking for dies

Yes, hope that one of them works out for you. Everyone is so scared to get fouled by the government, when the government is the one that needs to clean up it's act and follow the laws. Not just the USA but others, sad really. Hope it works out for you and you do get them. Another source I thought of, could be Mic McPherson, believe he worked with that caliber alongwith others. Bill K
Old 07-31-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Yes, hope that one of them works out for you. Everyone is so scared to get fouled by the government, when the government is the one that needs to clean up it's act and follow the laws. Not just the USA but others, sad really. Hope it works out for you and you do get them. Another source I thought of, could be Mic McPherson, believe he worked with that caliber alongwith others. Bill K
One thing that joins us all, is Government interference Bill