Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 AM

Default 17 wsmr.

Hi,
Anyone using the above cartridge? If so, how do you rate it?
Thanks, Ken.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
Hi,
Anyone using the above cartridge? If so, how do you rate it?
Thanks, Ken.
Hi Ken is that the new(ish) 3,000ft/sec rimfire?
Wally
Old 07-25-2014, 12:03 PM

Talked to a fellow shooter at the range a few months back. He was shooting his new Savage 17WSM. Three inch plus groups at 100 yds. He was NOT happy.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:41 PM

This is probably NOT the rite Forum to state my opinion BUT--Just how many 17 cal's do we need ??

I understand that we all like to reinvent the wheel which is a great way to live BUT lets take a look at the 17 Cal we have introduced in the last 15-20 years:

17 HMR
17 MK II
17 Fireball AKA Improved?? Mk IV
17 Hornady Hornet Improved ? 17 Hornet
17 WSM

We can all debate why some of these FAILED and make excused for their demise. The biggest IMHO for the Winc Failure is
WHY:

Chamber it in a Rifle that is Less than perfect
At a time when Rimfire ammo is like a cross between GOLD and a UNICORN

Jim
Old 07-25-2014, 02:02 PM

The problems with the B-Mag (ejection, feeding, & poor accuracy) & the ammo (poor quality control & split cases) have been well documented & should raise serious concerns to anyone contemplating purchasing one. Savage has made a concerted effort to replace or repair defective rifles & I have heard the heavy barrel version is not showing the same problems. They still are a very cheaply made rifle & priced for the extremely tight budgeted shooter. Most of the ones I've seen are very poorly fit together. "You get what you pay for" comes to mind. Will probably go the way of the 5mm Rem Mag or if it survives will be the most expensive rimfire to shoot, which kinda defeats it's marketing strategy of being inexpensive to buy. Just can't figure out what Win & Savage are trying to do other than market "we got the fastest rimfire, why don't you buy one".
Old 07-25-2014, 02:05 PM

I have a 17 WSM barrel set up for the Contender but have not had a chance to shoot it yet. This seems like as good a away to go for the cartridge as the Savage. If I don't like it I can punch it out to something else. Lack of ammo has been my big hang up. I bought two boxes off a web contact and have given 1/2 of one box away for talking points.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 07-25-2014, 02:54 PM

Default 17 wsm

Personally I see only two reasons for the rimfire. one if laws only allow you to use rimfire. Two, if you do not reload and do not want too.
However if you get something like the 17 VHA and just get enough equipment to reload that cartridge, you have a reasonably priced set up and can reload with small amounts of powder and have the same velocity range. Plus you can have a much better firearm to shoot with. In your case, you can have that TC barrel chambered to the 17 VHA. Bill K
Old 07-25-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
The problems with the B-Mag (ejection, feeding, & poor accuracy) & the ammo (poor quality control & split cases) have been well documented & should raise serious concerns to anyone contemplating purchasing one. Savage has made a concerted effort to replace or repair defective rifles & I have heard the heavy barrel version is not showing the same problems. They still are a very cheaply made rifle & priced for the extremely tight budgeted shooter. Most of the ones I've seen are very poorly fit together. "You get what you pay for" comes to mind. Will probably go the way of the 5mm Rem Mag or if it survives will be the most expensive rimfire to shoot, which kinda defeats it's marketing strategy of being inexpensive to buy. Just can't figure out what Win & Savage are trying to do other than market "we got the fastest rimfire, why don't you buy one".
Found 1/2 dozen empties at the range and other than overly thick 'appearing' rims - HEADSPACE? there appeared to be no problems with them. The local gun store, Wholesale Sports, has 1/2 dozen or so on order. I think perhaps if the ammo isn't too expensive here, I might just re-chamber my CZ barrel for the new round and put it on the Martini - dependent on ammo costs, of course.

Last edited by Daryl; 07-27-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:40 PM

Default It's a Killer

My Savage shoots about 1.5" group at 100. I have put about 2 full boxes of shells through it and have had 2 misfires. They were both out of the same box of ammo. I have only shot the 25gr bullets and have about 6 boxes on the shelf. Bought the gun at a Wall-Mart for $297 and had to drive to another Wall-Mart to buy the ammo because that was the only place that had it. I was stopping at Wall-Marts every chance I got and looked for ammo and then stopped after I thought I had enough. Shot one coyote and about 6 coons with it. I called in the coyote while I was hunting with the 17 WSM but the coons were shot with it because it was handy and I don't care if I drop the gun or if it gets dirty. The coyote ran about 75yds before it stopped but the coons stopped right there. Most of the coons were 10 foot shots in the head without an exit that I could see. I didn't skin them. I doubt that I take it coyote hunting again but will continue to shoot coons with it. $15 a box of ammo isn't too much more than 22lr. I had put a $200 scope on it to test the rifle but will switch it out for a $40 Wall-Mart Tasco next time I go to the range. After that it will sit in the barn waiting for the next coon that wants to eat $50 of cat food every month. I would like to see how it does on prairie dogs the next time I go.
Dave
Old 07-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Supporting Member

On top of all that the B Mag is one ugly rifle