Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2014, 06:10 PM

Default Nail gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
Hi Ken is that the new(ish) 3,000ft/sec rimfire?
Wally
Yes Wally.
Might be coming past in next couple days, if you still want some Trail Boss.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
Yes Wally.
Might be coming past in next couple days, if you still want some Trail Boss.
Yes please Ken just text or phone
Wally
Old 07-25-2014, 07:01 PM

Mine isn't as ugly as it once was

I am still not impressed with it shooting groups but it does ok with a cold barrel. My nephew hit a 1lb tannerite container at 150 yards with it on the first shot
Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 PM

After all the crap of lately ( 2-3 years) trying to find ammo for 17 HMR I will not own another rimfire that you can't get ammo for. I have yet to see any B mag ammo at our local sporting goods store. The 17 Hornet is awesome, Don't need a B mag. sgtg out
Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 PM

The BMag can be summed up in one word.

FAIL.

The new heavy barreled ones are pushing 400 bucks at Cabelas. That's way too much money to continue calling it inexpensive. They will sell you the rifle but don't have ammo for it. I have yet to lay hands on a single box of ammo locally.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtg View Post
After all the crap of lately ( 2-3 years) trying to find ammo for 17 HMR I will not own another rimfire that you can't get ammo for. I have yet to see any B mag ammo at our local sporting goods store. The 17 Hornet is awesome, Don't need a B mag. sgtg out
The 17 hornet is awesome but it, like the 17WSM is overkill on some small animals if you want to eat one or sell the fur. The 17WSM will destroy the skull of a raccoon making it impossible to skin where the 17 HMR is perfect at the same range. Then again, I ordered 4 bricks of hornady 17 hmr after I bought my 17 HMR back 10-12 years ago and a few bricks of CCI- I think it was almost a year wait to get it
Old 07-26-2014, 01:15 PM

Default 17wsm

It took a while, but I bulit a 17WSM on T/C Contender with MGM barrel. Shooting 25gr bullets(that all I could find without being RAPED on the price) The first barrel the twist was wrong, second barrel is right I shot two 4shot groups at 72yrd(RF) less than 3/8. I shot a 5shot group at 105yrds that was under 3/4, part of that was me, I had jsut finised shooting my 300WM about 12 times, plus I flinch everytimg,(TRAPSHOOTER).

I have killed four yotes with mind, 1 real close, one 215, 171 all standing, one coming in on the call at a trot at 98yrds, hit her right between the shoulder blades, blew a big hole in her back. I think the bullet it her back bone and blew up, I had to shoot her again. I am not impress with it's kill'em. I have shot 20plus jacks it does them right, DRT.

In two weeks, going to choot PD in AZ , see how it does.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:23 PM

Hey, how do you do that -- "choot??"

Reading your story about the .300WM/trapshooting induced flinch, I chuckle and think of the Peanuts comic strip's Lucy offering psychiatric help! LOL

That's what you get for shooting trap!!

Hope ya don't mind a little teasing!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Supporting Member

My original B.MAG shoots great (lots of videos to back that up). I'll just re-post what I put up about the new heavy barrel stainless B.MAG I finally got to shoot last Sunday:

The information below will be repeated when I do the video and possible write-up (I don't want to bore people), but I wanted to spell out some things that I did after receiving a new in box Savage B.MAG Stainless Heavy Barrel rifle in 17 Winchester Super Magnum.

1) I took the stock off the rifle and adjusted the Accu-Trigger.
2) I put the stock back on the rifle and tightened it snugly with an allen key.
3) I ran two dry patches down the barrel with a synthetic cleaning rod (NO Solvent used).
4) I mounted a BSA 6x24-44mm - "17 Super Mag" Riflescope on the rifle with High Burris Zee Rings.
5) I sighted it in and then went hunting...

As always, it was windy when I was sighting in, so I did so at 50 yards using the 20 Grain 17 Winchester Super Magnum ammunition, Lot # 1GE31.

This was my final group off sand bags, at 50 yards, with the scope set at 12 power, witnessed by my cameraman, Tom:

This is part of my take for the day, with many of them being on video (including a double taken with a 20 grain bullet), but that will be coming soon:

-----
I tried to mix things up this time around and not thoroughly clean the rifle when I received it. Needless to say, I must be blessed when it comes to B.MAGs, because this is another shooter and I have plenty of video from today to prove that out. I did my best to shoot at various ranges, with the farthest today being one kill at 165 yards (not on video). The other shots were taken from 50 yards, out to 125 yards, with 95 yards to 110 yards being the average shots I took (most of those on video).

I hunted in 15mph winds, with gusts up to 20mph. It was also around 94 degrees and very hot. This B.MAG rifle performed flawlessly and I had ZERO cracks in the brass. Lastly, there is something else I did, which is not my normal routine. I shot from 4 different lot #'s today (all 20 grain), without sighting in between lots, and still had excellent results.

Sorry for just the teaser, but I've been up since 4:30am this morning and I am a bit tired and sunburned.

Eric
Old 07-26-2014, 02:57 PM

Eric, did you buy the rifle and ammo off the rack or was it lent/given to you by Savage? Hog