Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
Mike I guess you didn't read the two posts immediately before yours.
No I didn't and will delete my other post, sorry.

Mike
Old 07-24-2007, 11:40 PM

Smile Great Old Scope Names

Weaver is one of the great old "names", for sure . . . first scope I bought, over 50 years ago, was a K4. But I want to mention my experience with another "oldie", my 1963 Unertl, now over 40 years old. I bought it from a friend in 16X configuration. A few years ago when they were still in Mars, PA, I inquired about getting it converted to 10X. They told me to send it right on in. In a couple of weeks I got it back, all cleaned up and white lettering renewed, looking nearly like new. Now of course this was not a warranty deal and they did charge a fair price, but service was prompt and courteous. Now they have moved to Las Vegas, and their website does mention that there "might" be a problem with repairing a 75 year old scope, but for sure they are willing to take a shot at it. The way things used to be.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 AM

I had the same situation with a Tasco 4x40 about 20 years ago, sold here in the UK with a lifetime warrenty at the time but they refused to honour it as I could not product the original receipt after only a few months use on a spring air rifle.

Needless to say I never bought another.

A
Old 07-25-2007, 02:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default some one had a sense of humor.

[quote= "oldie", my 1963 Unertl, now over 40 years old. Quote]

back in the mid 70's when i was working in the gun business one of my salesman sold a Unertl scope to a gentleman, about 3 weeks later he came in with a box. inside the box was the scope, completely disassembled, and I mean completely. when i asked what happened he said, "i took it apart to oil it" he ask if I could reassemble it for him?
I told him no but I would send it back to unertal. about 2 weeks later the scope came back. on the invoice where the charge for reassembly should have been was a hand written note.
it said"only one of my technicians or a fool takes one of my scopes apart, no charge."

gentleman took his scope home and neither he or i never talked about it again
Old 07-29-2007, 05:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld
Default gettin around warranty problems

Bob:
Yep, that's a good idea. I did one about as good this spring.

In Aug we had a nasty windstorm that topped two of my big trees. Lackabucks to hire a trimmer to take them down. I bought a nice new Poulan Pro 20" at Lowes'. Slick thing, lotta power, easy to start. Nice little plastic thumb screw to keep the chain tight. Runs against a metal gear inside. Yep, eats the teeth off the plastic.

Electrolux owns them, refused to do business with me. Named two shops in town that do repairs. One won't do any warranty at all, the other wanted $35 front money. for a two dollar or less nickle part.

Saw wasn't three months old yet. Took it and the papers back to Lowes and swapped it for a brand new one. Finished my logging job and damned if that gear didn't tear up again. Mailed it in with $10 check in May. Haven't heard a word from them yet. So, guess they got even with me as it's a nearly new saw that can't be used at all as there's no back up way to adjust the chain.

Last I knew about ElPaso Weaver Repair. Some of the old timers bought up the building and took on the repair end for hire after they folded. Real nice guys last I called. Sent a K 10 that lost gas, fixed it n/c, K8 plastic housing broke. $19.50 for a new scope.

Two yrs ago had the original K4 go bad that I'd bought in 1958. hehe, no I didn't!!

Simmons has treated me great but, not recently. Bought a "Ruby Red Lense" two yrs before I could get used to the background color. Then using it in a CMP match on a dull gray light rainy morning and couldn't even see the bull at 200yds which was plain nekked eye. Sent it back with a note about both and got a new one better price n/c.

Then a 20x glass to look at knat's ass'es with had grass blades inside. Way too powerful for a hunting glass I discovered. Sent it back with a note to fix and change, or exchange for 15x. Better glass at n/c.

Replaced that K4 with a 4-10x Simmons. Let another guy mount it and he mashed the tube, then moved to Ill. When I discovered it, figured that one was on me. mailed it with a note of explanation. Got a brandnew one n/c. This was in April this yr. Never sent a paper one on any of them.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"