Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2016, 02:35 PM
Supporting Member

And, if you don't know what you're doing, one "slip" and your stuck round removal cost just went from $100.00 + or - to $300.00 or $400.00 + to ALSO replace the barrel and any misc broken parts.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:27 PM

No kroil found.
where else besides sportsmans would one look?
Old 09-21-2016, 07:40 PM

Default Super stuck case

Just go down you your hardward/parts store and get a small can of penetrating oil, It will do the same thing.. Bill K
Old 09-21-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigger View Post
No kroil found.
My local true value stocks it. Also it's used in the aviation and auto businesses.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigger View Post
No kroil found.
Brownell's, Midsouth Shooters Supply, Midway for starters.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:36 AM
Board Sponsor

Three-and-one makes a pent. oil that works well for this. Generally all of them are some derivative of kerosene (or kerosene is a der. of them). Just a very light oil.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 09-22-2016, 01:50 PM
Supporting Member

Never found the need BUT, whatever works.
This was posted on Accurate Shooters. 6BR.com.

"I have had an occasional case separation in my .223 rifles but they have always been easy to remove. Usually both parts simply fall out. The other day, while breaking in a new barrel, a well used case separated. Invariably broken cases are my fault caused by reloading my plinking brass far longer than I should. I anneal every reloading cycle, so the necks last forever. Normally I toss my brass when the primer pockets wear out; however, in this instance the case fractured first and forward portion was well and truly stuck in the chamber.

The forward part would not come out of the chamber by using either a bore snake down the muzzle or an oversized bronze brush inserted from the chamber end. So I ordered a $10 case extractor from Amazon, mainly because Prime could deliver it quickly. Big mistake. Save your money. I had to use a magnet to be sure it was made from steel. I didn't know you could make steel so soft. It appeared to have been made in Pakistan by a young boy using a rock and particularly dull file. No wonder it wouldn't grip the case neck lip. But that did not keep me from trying and that included expending some effort re-shaping the extractor with my jeweler files. No luck. It simply would not grip the case neck lip.

Next, I ordered a $20 version of a case extractor along with a bar of Cerrosafe chamber casting alloy and a Lee ladle. A week later, I had the parts in hand. The extractor was well made, but I had already rounded off the lip of the case neck to the point that the improved extractor couldn't get a grip either. But it certainly looks like it would work on a fresh case so I tucked into my range bag. On to the casting alloy.

I have never used Cerrosafe before, but the included instructions are quite complete including a procedure for extracting a broken case. This technique is apparently known in some circles, but nobody I talked with suggested it as a solution and that includes several experienced gun smiths I consulted regarding my broken case, all my red-neck shooting buddies, and the regular gang down at the local gun range.

The procedure is quick, simple, and effective. I plugged the bore with a patch about 1/2" ahead of the broken case and clamped the barreled action vertically in my workbench vise. Then I warmed the barrel and action with my heat gun. Next, I melted a ladle full of Cerrosafe, again using the heat gun, and poured the molten metal into the chamber. Don't spill any on your bare feet!

After 10 minutes I tapped out the casting along with the broken case using a cleaning rod down the muzzle; success! Instantly the pall of depression associated with my broken case was lifted and this irritable old man was returned to his normal state of mind which happens to be that of a regular grumpy old man.

If you are not familiar with using Cerrosafe for removing a broken case, keep it mind if you encounter one that is particularly hard to remove."
Old 09-22-2016, 07:07 PM
Supporting Member

Lead works as well but requires a bit more heat...........

Aaron
Old 09-22-2016, 10:42 PM

Wink

Things might get a little interesting when using those last two methods on a LIVE ROUND STUCK