Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Supporting Member

Have one in left hand 375 Ruger with a 20" barrel and laminated stock. All I have done is bed the action. Prior to bedding it would shoot 3/4" 3 shot groups and after bedding it shoots the same. Interestingly the barrel is not floated. The African Version I had before it would also shoot the same hand load into 3/4" sometimes a tad smaller. My recent experience with their large bores has been great.

The 77/22, 17 Hornet and 22 Hornets that I tried, and it was quite a few were all real nice looking guns but accuracy was poor. I believe the two piece olt and the barrel attachment are the main reason for the poor performance of these guns.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:43 PM

http://www.ct-precision.com/

This guy does Ruger bolt work. I use to have a 77/22 hornet, it wasn't the greatest in terms of accuracy. Maybe the 2 part bolt was the culprit?
Old 09-24-2016, 08:08 PM

Looks like the bolt action rifles mentioned to be discontinued are the smaller actions with the rotary magazines (similar to the 10-22). Ruger brought out the Ruger American bolt action models in rimfire calibers, and I would bet they are less expensive to make.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:24 PM

My 1st rugers were #1's. then the PD addiction hit. ruger 77's, 2 swifts [ACTUALLY 5 SWIFT], many#1's and a red label, and 1 R 77- 17 hmr. all. 77's are very accurate. #1's either shoot or need a little help
Old 10-03-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
http://www.ct-precision.com/

This guy does Ruger bolt work. I use to have a 77/22 hornet, it wasn't the greatest in terms of accuracy. Maybe the 2 part bolt was the culprit?
+1 !!!

Decades ago I bought a used 77/22 laminated varmint (24-in barrel) in 22 WMR, and promptly sent it to Connecticut Precision after seeing his ad in Varmint Hunter magazine. For $100 he re-crowned the barrel, re-cut a match chamber to headspace on sample fired cases I sent (Winchester), blueprinted the two-piece bolt to remove unnecessary slop, and tuned the trigger. Group sizes afterwards were cut in half. It became my favorite rifle, and remains so nearly 20 years later. On desert ground squirrel hunts, it's never left behind, and out to 150 yards I simply can't miss with it, even though groups on paper at that range are nothing to keep in your wallet. And the 22 WMR really thumps jackrabbits, too. Mine shoots venerable Winchester 40-gr JHPs best, and the newer Hornady 30-gr V-max just as well, but POI shifts higher with the latter, so I simply use the upper duplex post rather than the crosshair for aiming.

I'm sorry to learn the 77/x rifle is going away. I'd love to have one in 22 Hornet, guess I better start looking now ...
Old 10-03-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenthief View Post
The 77 series short action with rotary magazine is temporarly discontinued as a whole.

The centerfire 77MKII is not affected.
Upon reading the link from the OP, I disagree! The author wrote:

"I, for one, am a little disheartened seeing that these Mauser-action rifles will be going away."

The rimfire (and Hornet) rotary-mag 77/x is NOT the Mauser action. He's talking about the venerable full-size Model 77. But he says a few chamberings will still be available - all rimfires, Hornet, and two pistol cartridges. So it sounds like the 77/x remains, and all the full-size M77s are going away.

Edit:

Ok, after reading it again, it seems ALL 77s are going away, of all variants (including the 77/x). It's a shame, it'd be like Winchester discontinuing the Model 70. Oh, wait ...

Last edited by brians356; 10-03-2016 at 11:04 PM.