Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2016, 11:27 PM

Default Howa mini action

I saw today that Cabelas is running a special on Howa mini action in 223 for about $315 with a code discount, sounds like a bargain but I don't have any experience with that action,what do the experts on here think?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:33 PM

i think for about the same amount you can get a model 7 action and have less difficulty with stocks and more availability to other accesories'
PTG bolts in .473 and PPC diameters come to mind.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:26 AM

Bought one a few months ago for $324 as I liked the action. One piece bolt, sako style extractor, and a flat bottom action. The 1 in 9" twist 22" barrel is quite light and heats up quickly. The barrel bore scoped better than expected for a factory barrel and cleaned-up easily. Could only adjust the 2-stage trigger to 3 1/2 lbs but it is quite crisp. The Hoque stock is just OK. Would have been nice if they designed the rifle to accept AR-15 magazines instead of their proprietary magazine. My rifle has been averaging 0.5 MOA three shot groups at 100 yds shooting 52 gr bullets. Chatting with the Cabelas employee while doing the instant check, I believe Cabelas cost is approx. $305. She indicated that the price to long term employees is about $321 which is 5% above their cost. Will be patient and hope to see some after market triggers and stocks. From Cabelas pricing, it is apparent that the rifles are not selling well. Just not many people familiar with Howa rifles in my opinion.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/HOWA-...wa%26CQ_st%3Db

Last edited by JohnHenry; 09-18-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:18 AM

Whittaker's sells all they can get, as quick as they can get 'em. Maybe Cabela's marketing isn't so good.

I know some folks who flat-out love 'em.

I'm thinking about it, but I'm rifle-poor as it is.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:13 AM
Supporting Member

We are finishing up our testing and field use of a Howa Mini-Action in .222. It's an accurate little rifle, with a nice feel to it. We were dropping prairie dogs at out to 400 yards (the image with the PDs are out at 250+ yards). The scope on the rifle might look a bit odd because it is so big, but it is our main testing scope (Premier Reticle boosted Leupold 14.5x35-50mm with fine crosshair).

Eric
Old 09-16-2016, 05:36 AM

Today I see a Remington 783, either .223 or .243 with a cheap scope for $259.99, that does count the $40.00 rebate, but you do get that back. Savage has given up the cheap bolt guns to Remington I guess, the Savage Axis is $100.00 more. I may have to buy one just to get the action and bolt for that price Larry
Old 09-19-2016, 01:25 PM

Have not seen an ad on Cabelas website ref. the 10% off firearms since sometime Saturday(9/17). As of 9AM this morning(9/19), the 10% off promo code(16stalkup) appears to still be valid.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:26 PM

Cabela's is selling Howa Minis (.223 black/blued) now for $350. Might make a neat little (varmint) truck gun.
Time to sell that AR I bought that's been gathering dust.....
Old 09-19-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
Today I see a Remington 783, either .223 or .243 with a cheap scope for $259.99, that does count the $40.00 rebate, but you do get that back. Savage has given up the cheap bolt guns to Remington I guess, the Savage Axis is $100.00 more. I may have to buy one just to get the action and bolt for that price Larry
Larry I'm not familiar with the 783 is that a press fit barrel?
Old 09-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Supporting Member

It's a modified Savage barrel nut type set up............ When I say modified, the thread type and pitch is the same as a Savage but the chambers are cut differently due to bolt face differences between the two rifles. Several places sell the barrels, IIRC.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine