Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-21-2016, 03:22 PM

Default Favorite riflescopes for Skippy and PD's

Hi,

I am thinking about trying a different riflescope and am hoping to get some ideas.

I have been using Leupold 6x18x40 AO's on my gopher and PD rifles and am thinking maybe I should try something new. I rarely shoot past 250yds, mostly 150yds or so. I am not a turret twister. I don't mind paying for quality. There scope must be durable and unquestionably reliable (screwing around with a unreliable scope out on the prairie is not an option).

Anyone prefer fixed power for this application? 8X,10X,12X?

Thanks,

Neil
Old 09-21-2016, 04:08 PM
Supporting Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The question is, the current Leupy that you are using is not filling your needs in what respect. I have a couple of the exact same scopes, one on my 17 rem. and the other on a 222 mag. They fit the bill perfectly for both those rifles. At the yardage you mention I certainly don't see the need for more magnification. Generally on colony varmints low light conditions are not a problem so a bigger objective lens or 30 mm tube really are not needed. The clarity on mine are great. The size of the scope is about perfect, dimension wise.....If you decide to change out your scopes, I know where you can send those 6X18's where they will be well cared for.

Aaron

Last edited by long shot; 09-21-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:18 PM

Here ya go- 30moa in 2 moa slashes - no need to adjust the vertical crosshair to 1000 yards, just hold the appropriate slash. I have this one in 4-16x44x30mm on my 300 Mag. Amazing. On the 1000 meter steel buffalo without cranking a dial - even with 150gr. TSX bullets.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...eticle/reticle
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...eticle/reticle

Last edited by Daryl; 09-22-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:22 PM

You have a fine scope for your application already in my opinion. If you want to try for a bit more clarity you could look through some of the new VX3i Leupolds. I have also been very happy with my Zeiss HD5 and will be adding a couple more of these to rifles in the gun safe. The advances in optics, coatings, manufacturing, etc... have really leveled the playing field in the $300 - $1000 price range of scopes so it really comes down to your personal preferences, what scope fits your eyes best and what options meet your needs.

For me it comes down to optical clarity for a scope on a colony varmint rifle because hours spent looking through a scope with poor clarity speeds up eye strain. That is followed closely by the options I require (side parallax, reticle desired, 1 inch vs. 30mm tube, etc..), then comes a quality warranty that I shouldn't ever need to utilize and last but not least is whether my needs can be met and support American jobs. Leupold is a local Oregon company and while they are no longer made in the USA they are still assembled in the USA and many of the components are manufactured in the USA in my home state of Oregon and home town of Beaverton. The main reason they can no longer say they are made in the USA is because they have to import glass due to their demand and the fact it can't be met any longer within our own borders.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:44 PM

Default Colony Varmint Scopes

Neil, Sounds to me like you need to stick with Leupold Scopes and investigate their Varmint Hunter Reticle; it is one fine system and once you master it, it's deadly. I'd also stay with a variable power unit. I have several 8.5X25 30mm side focus and they are wonderful. Seldom use them on any power over 14, but if you want more power it's there when you need it.
Hope this helps. John Kruzan
Old 09-21-2016, 05:20 PM

NeilA., If you rarely shoot past 250 yds., in my humble opinion you need less power, not more. As John Kruzen commented the Leupold 8-25x50 is a great varmint scope particularly with the varmint reticle. Like you I am not a turret twister. I have owned a number of the Leupold 8-25's with the varmint reticle through the years, but what I like much better is the Swarovski Z-3/Z-5 series scopes with the BRX (not the BRH) reticle. The reticle is the thinnest I've used for colony varmints. I believe this reticle is overlooked because of the price of the scope, but I have tried the "so called" varmint reticle in about every scope (Zeiss, Nightforce, Leupold, etc.) and found the Swaro BRX reticle to be the best for my eyes. The optics are super on the Swaro's, but the BRX reticle is what makes it come together for this type shooting. I have had or have currently the 3-10, 4-12, 3.5-18, and the 5-25's all with the BRX reticle. For the distances you are shooting the Z-3 3-10x42 or the 4-12x50 with the BRX reticle should work nicely. They can be bought for under a $1000. For way out stuff (beyond 500 yards), I personally have not found anything better than the 5-25x52 Z-5 with the BRX reticle. Just my .02 worth. Good luck with your choice. 410gauge
Old 09-21-2016, 07:41 PM

I don't like to twist turrets either, and like FFP's with a grid or tree, picked up a Burris Veracity 4x20 50mm with the FFP E1 Varmint and really like it. Stadia are the perfect size to me for shooting from 8x-16x where I like to shoot at, glass is decent, side focus.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/v...cope-4-20x50mm
Old 09-21-2016, 10:23 PM
Supporting Member

Burris XTR II's are dead reliable. The glass is so-so, but with your ranges (250yds) it becomes less of an issue.

Then of course are the Vortex Razor Gen II's; but that's a whole other class of glass. Utterly bombproof.

I have both of these and both have proven to track reliably. I have a Leupold LR/T as well, and can say the glass is quite nice and it tracks well too.

With glass (IMHO) it really does get down to how much you're willing to spend for a.) the quality of the glass and b.) the reliability of the internals. Everything else is just extras...

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 09-21-2016, 11:18 PM

Thank you very much for the informative replies! i have some reading and learning to do... perfect!

I know..I know... If it aint broke don't fix it and if something is working perfectly, don't change anything. That has been my experience with Leupold, very satisfied.

Your other favorites are intriguing...

Last edited by NeilA.; 09-21-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:07 AM

Neil, not sure what you are using for a gun as that may change my recommendations. I have 12X Leupolds with fine crosshairs on a 204 and also on a 17 Rem. The 204 does have a target turret for elevation which does come in handy for consistently longer shots.

The VX-3's in either 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 with the varmint hunter reticle would be hard to beat. I would give serious consideration to the 50mm objective lens. Good glass and the varmint hunter reticle can give you an advantage with cross winds. Short of spending quite a bit of money on the Swarovski's, the Leupolds will serve you well.

For PD spotting, I generally use Leica 10x50 binoculars over a set of Swarovski 10x42s due to less eye fatigue and a bigger viewing area. Just my .02.