Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Supporting Member

Years ago fixed power scopes were far more reliable than variables in terms of clarity and holding zero. Today quality variables are very reliable and hold their point of aim at all power levels, so they provide options and usefulnness that fixed powers don't provide.

All that said, fixed power scopes still have value for practical hunting applications.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-26-2016, 04:13 PM

I'm guessing that most of us have varying systems that we use for prairie dogs or other varmints. I use high quality 10X binoculars to find the dogs and then grab a gun. My FIL prefers a spotting scope on lower power. We are generally operating on benches which turn 360 degrees so we can lock in pretty quick.

My primary 204 is rigged with a 12X Leupold with fine crosshairs. Basically I operate on the concept that if I can see them within reasonable range (generally 300 or less but sometimes out to 350), then I can shoot them. Much more than that, then you either need to do some dialing, holdover or have something other than fine crosshairs. I have played with an 8X and a 10X but I like just a little more power that the 12X gives me.

My primary 220 Swift is rigged with a 6.5-20X50 LR with varmint hunter reticle. This is going to give me more distance and better crosswind fighting than the 32 grain 20 caliber bullets. Preferred bullet in the Swift is 50 grain Nosler BT's.

I have assorted other 12X scopes various variables from 4.5-14, 6.5-20 and 8.5-25. Generally the 4.5-14 should be enough, but the 6.5-20's and the 8.5-25's are really handy if you don't have to fight mirage and either need the distance or really limited sight picture.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
Not arguing against anyone using a variable or any scope that fits their needs or desires, just responding to the OP's comments that "maybe it's time I tried something new" & "Anyone prefer a fixed power for this application? 8x,10x,12x? Looking back thru the posts, I didn't see any feedback about the use of fixed power scopes the OP requested, so I thought I'd just pass on my experience with them.
You made valid points.

Even with a variable most of my actual shooting at PD's it stays somewhere between 8x to 12x with the rare 16x or higher.

In these times scopes are better, barrels are better, bullets are better. And our eyes get worse with age.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:13 AM

Default scopes

I use mostly 6-18X leupolds as well. Also have a couple 6.5-20X models. They work swell for me and I am not changing. I usually don't shoot past 250-300 yds. Most of the time I have the magnification set at 14-16X.
On my 22H I have a 4-12X cause its really a sub 200 yard gun.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:30 AM

I have been looking through a 10X that I had in My safe the last few days and am now convinced to stay with the Leupold 6x18AO's. Like the others said, they really are ideal for my needs. I've never had any problems with one, but it is also a big plus for me that they are located in Oregon so if servicing is ever needed it would probably go smoothly.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:41 AM

6-18 with a Wind Plex reticle is really nice.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410gauge View Post
NeilA., If you rarely shoot past 250 yds., in my humble opinion you need less power, not more. As John Kruzen commented the Leupold 8-25x50 is a great varmint scope particularly with the varmint reticle. Like you I am not a turret twister. I have owned a number of the Leupold 8-25's with the varmint reticle through the years, but what I like much better is the Swarovski Z-3/Z-5 series scopes with the BRX (not the BRH) reticle. The reticle is the thinnest I've used for colony varmints. I believe this reticle is overlooked because of the price of the scope, but I have tried the "so called" varmint reticle in about every scope (Zeiss, Nightforce, Leupold, etc.) and found the Swaro BRX reticle to be the best for my eyes. The optics are super on the Swaro's, but the BRX reticle is what makes it come together for this type shooting. I have had or have currently the 3-10, 4-12, 3.5-18, and the 5-25's all with the BRX reticle. For the distances you are shooting the Z-3 3-10x42 or the 4-12x50 with the BRX reticle should work nicely. They can be bought for under a $1000. For way out stuff (beyond 500 yards), I personally have not found anything better than the 5-25x52 Z-5 with the BRX reticle. Just my .02 worth. Good luck with your choice. 410gauge
I just bought and mounted a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with the BRX reticle on my .221 7tw. Fantastic scope for my needs. Thank you 410gauge!

I tried about everything I had in the safes. Nightforce, Nightforce, Leupold, Meopta, Nikon ... Nightforce worked well for me but way too big, and the 4x10- not enough power. My standard Leupolds are good (6x18AO), but the Swarovski is noticeably superior (my opinion) The Swarovski doesn’t have big turrets ( that I don’t use) is super bright, the BRX reticle is very thin, which works well for me as we’re almost always out in bright daylight. AO is marked well enough for me and easy to adjust. Cost about $1300. Very happy with it!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Kinda late now it sounds like.
I was going to suggest you buy another rifle and put a fixed power
on it and see how you like it before changing this one. I was thinking
you were looking for something to spend money on. Still believe that
was the idea, HA!

Back in the days before we had good glass, or 600 choices I put a K-10
on my .222mag Sako for P/dogs. It was very limiting. Too strong for up
close, too weak for way the hell out there (4-600yds) across the miles long
short grass pastures we shot in. Then when the sun came out the mirage
fouled up what was being seen anyway. OF course most of our shooting p/dogs is in the heat of summer out here. So there was many a day I wished for something better.

With a variable, when it gets hot and that happens, just turn it down
til things clear up.
I ended up putting a 4-16 on it and swapped that glass for an old rusted up rifle for a build base. Both of us were happy, think he's died and I'm still happy. Hard to beat two guys when both feel they won the deal.

Since I'm still a cheap SOB, I bought a Simmons 6.5-20 x 55 for about $120? delivered and liked it so well I bought three more of 'em just alike for the small cals. .223 down to .17VR. Haven't been able to get out and try 'em yet, but, hey, they're waiting on me. Plus, they focus down to 30 feet. Even put one on a new build .243 because of that close focus.

There's been times I could have used both near focus, (hogs at 30 feet in the dark shade) and more power when trying to see p/dogs better when I was on a roll with a witness or two. I don't like limitations. Seems that's been my whole lot in life though.

Hope you love that high dollar glass.
We still don't know what rifle or cal you put it on.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-20-2018, 04:00 PM

George, I’m trying to only have a few rifles and optics of very high quality that I will use and enjoy. I have to keep telling myself that I only need a few rifles. When I get the urge to buy something new, I need to “just say no”. I don’t need 10 rifles(or more) to shoot gophers, PD’s and a few other little critters.

Needless to say, I’m only having marginal sucesss with the “just say no” approach to buying new rifles and optics. As you know, you gentlemen here are absolutely no help.

Anyway, my main PD rifle is a custom. Defiance Deviant action, Manners stock, Jewell trigger, Benchmark 21” Rem. Sendero, .221FB, 1:7 tw, threaded barrel. I use 1680 with Calhoon 42gr. , right at 3300fps. If I do my part, I can shoot 3/8” at 100, with the rare 1/4”. This is the rifle with the Swarovski.

For ground squirrels I haven’t found anything better than my .19 Badgers -Mannlicher and heavy barrel. They don’t heat up or foul quickly, and have been reliable and accurate. My buddy Dan is a one rifle guy. .19 Badger. Has probably seven thousand thru it and probably getting due for a set back.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 PM

My preferred scopes are 10X Lyman all Americans. 2nd choice is 4.5 to 14 Leupold. I find that any power over 12X is useless in mid day mirage.
Bob