Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 PM

Default Core seating with Lee press

Hi guys,

When using the Lee classic cast for core seating, does people grind of the stops on the linkage so that the press can cam over or not?

I havenīt on mine, and they feel somewhat "springy" or "flexible" that way. I canīt really decide if itīs something I should care about.

Regards,
Peter
Old 10-23-2014, 10:26 AM

Thanks George!

Guess I might have been using a bit to much pressure recently...

Best regards,
Peter Ericson
Old 10-23-2014, 03:45 PM

Its always intresting to discuss core seating!

I have been using the micrometer to figure out the core seating as described in an earlier thread. On my first lots I used a smaller punch and stretched the jackets just slightly from their shortest lenght, probably around 0.0003" or so.

The last batch I made I stretched them alot more, around 0.001" together with a tighter punch. I guess it got a bit to much as the press started feeling springy and the bullets, even if they shot OK, didnīt really shot as great as before.

A question on core seating! When coming across a lot of softer/harder jackets, how does one adjust the core seating pressure to get the bullets to shoot? Should I just try to stretch the different lots the same, say 0.0005", or do the jackets need to be stretched differently from lot to lot?

Peter
Old 10-23-2014, 06:57 PM

Thanks! Might have been running slightly to tight punches then? I have always had lead bleed by, but very little. Last lot I used a 0.2155" punch for a 67grs bullet on .825" sierra jackets. The bleed by was minimal... Before that I used a .2150" punch.

I will do some testing tomorow and make a small batch with a slightly smaller punch. Itīs snowing outside now, but they promise warmer weather for the week end.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Supporting Member

uuugh please don't say that , snow is a four letter word
Old 10-24-2014, 03:07 PM

Made some with a .2140" punch now. 0.001" of stretch and some bleed by. Wanted to use a .2145" but i couldn't find it until I was done...

Going thru all my punches I found alot of punches in the 0.209"-.2130" range. Are that small punches used at all with todays jackets?