Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 PM

Default .17 Chuckbuster

I received a PM last night about the mention on one of my threads about the .17 Chuckbuster. It is a round that I conferred with P.O.
Ackley on, back in the early 60's. I didn't build the gun until 1989. It is built on an Interarms, Whitworth, Mark X, singleshot action. The action is a copy of the Mauser, but this model does not have a magazine feed port. The bottom of the receiver is solid. I don't even know if the single shot action is available. Right after I bought it, the war in Croatia was getting worse and the factory was destroyed.

The fastest it has been pushed is a little over 5400 fps. This test was done with a Williams 15 gr. bullet. The best accuracy is between 4100 and 4400 fps, 3 shots pretty much make a hole a little bigger than a .30 cal. I have killed over 50 Chucks with it in western PA, along with Deer and Coyotes in Texas, and lots and lots of paper. I have a Shilen barrel 1-9 twist, and Shilen inspected it back in 1995, after 2700 rounds, and could see no appreciable wear or damage. I sent Clymer the drawing and a dummy round, back in '89, and they ground the roughing and finish reamers. They have it listed with other reamers as the .17 Chuckbuster. The case is a .225 Winchester.

Because it was going to take from 6-8 months to have dies made, I decided to go ahead and make my own. I had the reamers, and the time. So far they have worked fine. I even built a Wilson straight line bullet seating die. It has really been a fun build, and I still get a grin every time I shoot it.

Below is the .17 Pee Wee next to the 17 Chuckbuster.

Last edited by Benny; 02-17-2011 at 01:03 AM.