Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2017, 01:52 AM

Default Lead free 20, 22 and 6mm varmint bullets

For those living in 49 states you probably won't bother reading this but for us unfortunate ones living in CA we will not be able to shoot lead bullets at game or non-game a year from this coming July.

I do a lot of varmint shooting and my solution is to stop shooting in CA and instead travel to Nevada and Oregon.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a highly accurate lead free bullet that is priced reasonably close to a lead bullet exists.

Another issue is terminal performance (expansion). I don't really want to pencil the critters only to have them crawl off to a slow death.

What about wind drift with the lighter slugs? And will our barrel's twist rates be functional?

Do lead free bullets have a place in the varminter's world? I'm not optimistic.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbuster View Post
For those living in 49 states you probably won't bother reading this but for us unfortunate ones living in CA we will not be able to shoot lead bullets at game or non-game a year from this coming July.

I do a lot of varmint shooting and my solution is to stop shooting in CA and instead travel to Nevada and Oregon.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a highly accurate lead free bullet that is priced reasonably close to a lead bullet exists.

Another issue is terminal performance (expansion). I don't really want to pencil the critters only to have them crawl off to a slow death.

What about wind drift with the lighter slugs? And will our barrel's twist rates be functional?

Do lead free bullets have a place in the varminter's world? I'm not optimistic.
I am working up loads with the Nosler 32 tipped lead free in my 20 calibers.
Some are right with the accuracy I get with the lead one's, some are only around one MOA, but I think I can tighten them up and be just fine.
I know some others are having good results with the lead free. I am also using and working some loads up in 224 cal, but can not help you on the 6mm.
I think, so far anyway, my experience shows the Nosler's in the tipped form are the way to go. But others may work for you and someone will probably come on board with other suggestions. Bill K
Old 09-22-2017, 03:11 AM
Supporting Member

The .224 Hornady 35 grain NTX and the Nosler 40 grain Ballistic Tip lead free bullets have both performed well in various rifles I've shot them in (.223, .218 Bee (Winchester M43), etc. The NTX bullets are accurate and perform very well on the varmints I have shot. I have never had good luck with the Barnes Varmint Grenades in the .224 caliber, but I know others who have had good luck.

Eric
Old 09-22-2017, 01:52 PM

Ratbuster: Although I escaped the Kommiefornia menace many years ago, I live very close to Nosler here, and as such have access to all their production seconds. In doing so, I discovered that their BTLF (Ballistic Tip Lead Free) line is quite accurate in both 204" and 224" and both versions are very destructive on our favorite rodent. We're not forced to shoot them, but with prices so low you can't pass them up, I tried them with good results.

These bullets are a mite longer than their lead core counterparts, so twist indeed does come into the equation, but I've found that a 12T in both .204" and .224" will adequately stabilize and give very good accuracy....at least in all the rifles I've shot them in (20VT, 204R, K-Hornet, 223, 223AI to name a few).

Don't despair because you live in an unenlightened state.....there IS hope for varmint shooters there despite the efforts of the libtards to the contrary.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:09 PM

Default Lead-free bullet terminal performance....

RB,

I know you have heard this from me before, but lead-free bullets can have a dramatic improvement in terminal performance when used with fast twist barrels... I have used 6mm Hornady and Nosler BT bullets in lead-free offering and they are great performers in faster twist (1/9 or faster) barrels. Mine are 1/7 and 1/8 and both lead-free and standard bullets both perform impressively.

If you do try faster twist barrels on your varmint rigs, I think you will see the same improvement in terminal destruction of vermin as I, and others, have found....

Lead-free bullets are of harder material than lead, and are less explosive. But, adding RPMs can bring major improvement to their "terminal explosive performance".

Bill

Last edited by william t. oviatt; 09-22-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:00 PM

Default Thanks

I appreciate your inputs guys. Rick, your post prompted me to look at Nosler's website where I found the 32 grain blem 20's for only 13 cents. Priced right in there with Vmax's and while I would give up significant wind performance vs. a 40 gn lead bullet it's close enough to keep me shooting in CA from time to time.

Phil
Old 09-23-2017, 05:59 PM

Check Shooter's Pro Shop once or twice a week, you'll find some deals on Nosler blems and production overruns.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbuster View Post
I appreciate your inputs guys. Rick, your post prompted me to look at Nosler's website where I found the 32 grain blem 20's for only 13 cents. Priced right in there with Vmax's and while I would give up significant wind performance vs. a 40 gn lead bullet it's close enough to keep me shooting in CA from time to time.

Phil
Ratbuster. No matter how hard the Kalifornia Fish & Wildlife commission and politicians try to stop our hunting/shooting, we will find a way, especially on the varmints. And with Nosler and Hornady coming out and offering lead free, we will prevail, for the most part. Bill K
Old 09-24-2017, 06:26 AM
Supporting Member

Ratbuster, I have a box of 35 grain lead-free .224 bullets I can send you. They are the Hornady 35 grain NTX bullets. I was organizing my reloading bench today and found them.

Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll ship them out in a couple of weeks.

Eric
Old 09-24-2017, 09:34 PM

Default Lead free

Eric,

That is so kind of you to offer that. Those might shoot pretty well in my Criterion 12 twist 223 barrel.

Phil