Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 PM

Default Hornady Ammo question

I was breaking in my 204 Ruger (blueprinted 700 action with Pacnor barrel) yesterday with some factory Winchester ammo and had no problems. Today I was completing the break in with some factory Hornady ammo. The fired cases with the Hornady would extract but just lay on top of the single shot follower. At first I thought I had an extractor/ejector problem, but when I chambered a fired WW case and cycled the bolt it performed perfectly. I talked to Hornady and they issued a call tag......just wondered if anyone else has experienced this...........
Old 02-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Supporting Member

I have never shot Hornady factory ammo but I can tell you that IMHO their brass sucks. I have tried 204, 375 Ruger and 416. Their consistnecy is terrible, the 204 brass has over 14 grains weight spread in 100 cases, which is almost 15%, the flasholes are often not centered, it take a ton of work to debur the flashholes, and the primer pockets are not a consistent depth. They are the WORST of any brass I have ever tried. On the assumtion they load their facory ammo with the same crap, I would not be suprised by any poor or odd results you are seeing.