Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-18-2016, 07:56 PM

Harmon,

Is tha McM stock a standard OD Green? Can you PM me with the specifics of the gun?

I have no interest in the Grendel personally. I like that .260 though!!!
Old 12-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D. View Post
As you know Ken I just had a 6.5 Creedmore built and when deciding on a barrel length my Gunsmith mentioned most folks go with a 24" (long range shooting) I opted for a 26" and he opined that, yes indeed he could always shorten it if I wanted but it wasn't practical to lengthen it.
LOL...I agree, most gunsmiths skills are a bit weak on the lengthening of barrels. For me...I am just wanting a, lighter, all-around rifle with integral metal sight system and hence a bit shorter barrel.

You have a VERY nice set up my friend and I'm glad you got it...I'm a bit jealous. I REALLY want to hear more on the performance that you ring out of it!

The two calibers share much in common but really are two completely separate animals. To me...it seems, that the 6.5 C was really built/designed to shine more for the bolt gun and shines greatly there...longer range & harder hitting with reasonable recoil & high retained velocities/energies out to loooonnnng distances. However, it also has completely different rifle platform characteristic requirements. I.E. Especially in the gas operated (GO) arena. While still a short throw action like a .308/7.62 Nato is...it still requires a heavier more expensive especially for GO. (less common platforms.) To me the comparison in some ways is like comparing the 17 HMR vs 17 HM2. Make sense?

The 6.5 G was designed for harder & further hitting than 5.56 with short action GO systems with relatively lower recoil and less powder than things like .308/7.62x51 Nato. I.e. Smaller, lighter weight, adaptable, less expensive weapons systems like the AR's. (Love to see it in a SBR Bren or the new Kel-Tec RDB etc.)

While not initially developed for bolt guns, 6.5 G lends itself well to bolt action operations...especially short little carbines with mags like the CZ 527. Looking forward to getting my hands on some.

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO

Last edited by TOU; 03-01-2021 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:42 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
I think its pretty sweet that they are doing the grendal. I also see a 300 BO on the list. I think that one will sell quite well. I've thought about building one for the kids to shoot. Either one would do quite well for a youth rifle.

Aaron
Hey Aaron, yeah I think they will sell out te first batch quickly. Also I neglected to mention the .300 BO which I agree can make a nice tight rifle for small statured shooters. (everyone really)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
I personally prefer a longer barrel. Not sure why though, might be that it just balances better for me and I know that I always prefer to have the muzzle blast a little farther away from me.
I hear what you are saying...its just a personal reference for my intended uses. There is good arguments either way. That said...no argument about greater noise with shorter barrels. I have a .308 with a 16 barrel which is not fun to shot with out series ear protection...even worse to soot beside. There are some other things that I don't like about shooting it as well.

Quote:
Although the shorter barrel might be a bettter option to make it a good youth gun?
Agreed...which can also lends itself so well to a light weight walkabout multiuse rifle.

Quote:
It sounds about right for me and to be honest I figured my gun buying days was pretty much over but this may prove me wrong. While I'm not that familiar with the round, it has always had me interested in it and I've figured something like this.

Thanks for sharing, first I've seen
No problem...just trying to do my part to support the flow in the economy as well as occasional gun buying mentoring. BTW, like you I have sold more than I have bought the last couple of years. This...a sweet little 9mm Carbine & a couple of shotguns is the main extent of it.

That said, some may think I am crazy, but I like what I see enough that I have decided to sell out of .308/7.62 NATO rifles (3) as well as the bulk ammo (SA battle packs) I have stored up and invest fully in the platform. (A CZ bolt and an AR for a GO until something better comes along. for a GO platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
I'm pretty excited about it, should make a very nice mountain rifle for 300 yard mule deer.

I think it would be super nice to see it in a "Varmint Kevlar" configuration, but hey, "beggars can't be choosers"
Agreed 100% on the first, have to think on the Kevlar...love wood...and 100% on the final point.

Great input...glad to see I'm not the only one excited to see this.

Cheers,

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 12-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I did my 260 with a 21" barrel, this thing is light weight and balances well.
Love it...what an awesome set up and rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmg View Post
I'm glad CZ finally chambered the Grendel also. I was hoping tikka would jump on the bandwagon too but they haven't yet. I've been following the 6Grinch thread over on accurate shooter and it sounds like they're getting some great results with it.
I think it will help continue to push development with additional platforms and manufactures for ammo and rifles.

Quote:
Also that CZ 557 varmint looks real nice but there aren't many reviews on the 557 other than the initial press releases that I've been able to find so far.
As Gerald & I discussed on the phone last week...as a long time Czech shooter (decades), I am old school and it answers questions I didn't & probably wouldn't ask. NOT to cause any debates etc. but my personal opinion is while there is NOTHING wrong with push feed (I have had several Rem 700's with ZERO issues.) However, in my mind, why would I choose push feed over a Mauser based action if I have a choice. I think it is being offered for manufacturing ease & ROI (CZ's) etc. versus any advantage to consumer/shooter. To me it offers nothing for me the consumer/shooter over previous offerings. Maybe additional profit or cost savings for CZ I guess. I understand it and don't resent them but will probably stay with the ZG, ZKK, 550 Mauser type actions etc. for my lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
Should be a big seller, glad they are doing it in 24". Easy and cheap to cut them down...my barrel stretcher is on the fritz.
Fair enough LOL. Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Way cool! I was planning on converting one of my 7.62x39 carbines to a 6.5 Grendel, now I'll shift plans for that action and make it a 35 Gremlin and buy a factory Grendel. Even better, is that I can use the Grendel magazine for my 22 PPC and 6mm AR rifles that don't feed well out of the 7.62x39 magazines. I hope they opt for a 1/8 twist over a 1/9.

The supressor ready 300 BLK and 7.62x39 rifles are tempting. I hope they are built with 18" barrels to keep the OAL length reasonable with a can in place.

John
18" would be my choice as well. Especially...if suppressing...which is a goal of mine as well. (Legal to varmint hunt with in Utah.)

Cheers,

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 12-21-2016, 12:16 PM

All this proving once again that shooters are a very diverse group, which is a very good thing...
Old 12-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D. View Post
All this proving once again that shooters are a very diverse group, which is a very good thing...
LOL...yep & yep.

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 12-21-2016, 05:56 PM
Supporting Member

Default like

I like it when manufacturers step out of the box and give us chamberings like this. Kudos to CZ, heck I'll buy one just to support CZ.

It's nice when you go to the range and guys ask what your shooting and you say 6.5 Grendel. ..and they go huh?
Old 12-22-2016, 02:09 AM
Supporting Member

Am I seeing a trigger guard without the "sideburns" hanging down next to the magazine!!!

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 12-22-2016, 03:50 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbertalotto View Post
Am I seeing a trigger guard without the "sideburns" hanging down next to the magazine!!!
Yes, exactly. As noted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOU View Post
(There will be several changes to the 527's in general as well...may get even more converts for those that normally have offended eyes by the magazine well & the 5 shot magazine hanging down etc. )

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 12-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Supporting Member

I just finished putting together a CZ527 6.5 Grendel for a buddy.

He bought an action direct from CZ for $450 and a "B Grade" stock that for the life of us we can't figure out why it is "B Grade". Beautiful hunk of lumber and paid $120.

We needed a barrel.....Unbelievable but we found one on ebay. A wilson barrel, chambered and threaded for a CZ527! Screwed right on and headspaced perfectly.....$200

The stock was pillar bedded and off we went to the range. It shot a whole bunch of 3" groups at 300 yds...And one hole groups at 100 yds..Took it to Missouri and he shot the second deer of his life at about 200 yds. Went down like like they say.."Hit By Lightning"

Just about a perfect walk around deer rifle......

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com