Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-07-2017, 01:13 AM

Default HelloMod's

Looks like another fruitcake is at it. Please delete and block this person. Bill K
Old 09-07-2017, 02:02 AM

Default 20 VT brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks-and-bucks View Post
Lapua 221FB brass...

Lube it with imperial sizing wax and just run it into the 20 vartarg die with a 231-233 bushing?

One pass its made?
Yes a full length bushing die will work and size the neck full length( short neck, bushing is taller than neck). One note is Lapua brass is .375" at the head and Remington, Lake City is .373". So your Lapua brass will headspace at the head instead of the shoulder until you fireform. Not the worst of situations. You can buy a reamer made with the Lapua dimension and then you'll be spot on with dimensions. How much does this affect accuracy? It most definitely does, but if you're OK with minute of prairie dog, then no! I hope we'll see Lapua making 20 Vartarg brass but that's just a pipe dream.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17 FB Body die

A few years ago Adam Bentley (on this forum) provided a tip: The 17 FB body die actually makes a perfect forming die for the 20VT. Just lube and run the 221 FB brass into the body die, which was designed to not touch the neck of the 17 FB, but it will form the neck of the 221. And it just happens to form just right for the 20VT and sets the shoulder. I did 500 Remington cases this way, and my supposed "fire form" loads printed on top of and grouped as well as all subsequent loadings on the cases.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teancum1 View Post
A few years ago Adam Bentley (on this forum) provided a tip: The 17 FB body die actually makes a perfect forming die for the 20VT. Just lube and run the 221 FB brass into the body die, which was designed to not touch the neck of the 17 FB, but it will form the neck of the 221. And it just happens to form just right for the 20VT and sets the shoulder. I did 500 Remington cases this way, and my supposed "fire form" loads printed on top of and grouped as well as all subsequent loadings on the cases.
Thats interesting, because I cant find a 20VT full length die in stock for sale anywhere...

This method works perfectly? Sizes the whole neck and all, in one pass?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks-and-bucks View Post
Thats interesting, because I cant find a 20VT full length die in stock for sale anywhere...

This method works perfectly? Sizes the whole neck and all, in one pass?
Check Whidden custom dies/products. Either bushing dies or non-bushing dies, believe they will have 20 VT. You will pay a little more, but their products are well worth it.
And maybe someone will chime in with the used set, for sale. Bill K
Old 09-12-2017, 05:17 PM

I have a Hornady 20 vartarg full length die that never saw much use. Pm if interested
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 09-13-2017, 01:22 AM

Midsouth shows Hornady .20VT die set on hand, and the Hornady .20 caliber neck die works fine on the VT too.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 AM
Supporting Member

The only issue I ever had with the "Hornady Zip Spindle" in the 20 VT die was I had to replace three in a row when making VT brass from .221 Fireball. Got a few extra spindles just in case. Wouldn't wish those problems on anybody.
The Redding full length works much better.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:51 AM

Default 20 VarTarg brass making ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
The only issue I ever had with the "Hornady Zip Spindle" in the 20 VT die was I had to replace three in a row when making VT brass from .221 Fireball. Got a few extra spindles just in case. Wouldn't wish those problems on anybody.
The Redding full length works much better.
I found out with my first set of Hornady "zip spindle" die, that you must really tighten that lock nut, or the threaded shaft will slip up and bugger up/strip the threads on the shaft. I have two sets of the Hornady dies and I do keep a spare spindle, but since I learned with the first set to really tighten that lock nut, I have had no further issues with their dies. Bill K
Old 09-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Supporting Member

Something else to maybe be aware of is that, in my brief experience with the Hornady FL die, it is made for Remington brass and will be too small at the base end for Lapua brass. This may have changed with the advent of Lapua brass. I would recommend that you call Hornady for clarification before buying.