Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-04-2008, 12:43 AM

Default Need OAL Cartridge Gauge ID ....

Many years ago I bought an OAL Cartridge Gauge . It is not a Stoney Point . I can't find any ID on any of the component parts . It has a long steel rod , two steel Collars which slide on the rod , and a white plastic piece which looks and acts like a mini-bolt and also slides on the rod . You take measurements against a bullet you drop into the barrel and against a fired case which you also drop into the chamber . Does anyone know who made it , and whether they are still in business ??? the reason is that I have always used it on Rem 700s , and really like it . When I tried to use it on a Cooper , I found the steel collars are too big in Diameter and would hang up before entering the Action . I would like to buy two new Collars which would fit the Cooper . Any leads would be appreciated .
Old 11-04-2008, 12:49 AM

I believe that is made by Sinclair. At least that is where I got mine.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

X ring:

E'mail me the dia's you need and your address. I'll make you up a pair.
georgeld@hotmail.com

Wouldn't hurt to have a picture to know what I'm looking at too.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-04-2008, 02:21 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

You can probably rule out a Dewey.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...486&t=11082005
Old 11-04-2008, 06:18 AM

If the tool is the Sinclair Bullet Seating Depth Tool, the steel collars should not enter the action. The plastic mini-bolt (actually called the "action guide") enters the action and the steel collars are seated against the rear of the action guide, outside the action.

The standard action guide is too fat for the Cooper Models 21 and 38, but Sinclair sells one that fits those Coopers. That action guide also fits the Sako L46, A1, and Vixen.

Sinclair recently updated the tools to use a .25-inch diameter shaft with one end ground down for 17- and 20-caliber bullets and the other end for 22-caliber and up. My tool, bought last year, is the .218-inch diameter old style. If the rod you have is not ground for 17- and 20-caliber bullets, you might want to get one of those while you are at it. Just make sure it is the .218-inch diameter so all your stuff works together.

You have to call Sinclair to get action guides for the old-style tool since the catalog and website are switched to the new-style stuff.

Order by phone: 1-800-717-8211

The new-style tools are on the Sinclair website but there are no pictures of them. If you have a Sinclair catalog, there are pictures of the tool on page 13 of the Summer 2008 catalog and page 28 of the thick 2008-A master catalog.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/index.html

Last edited by DittoHead; 11-04-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:51 PM

Hooboy , you guys are terrific ! Thanks a heap ! Sounds like I got a Sinclair and as Dittohead described , ( after checking my notes ) , the two collars both end up at the back of the action guide . BTW , my rod measures 0.218 inches Diam . George , thanks for your kind offer , but let me see if I can get what I need from Sinclair .