Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-30-2018, 03:32 PM

Default Weigh or measure

Weigh or measure........

For me it depends on the powder. Stick powders I usually trickle all of them. Ball powders I will weigh every other one or so.

This has been hashed out or over on a lot of forums I know. I have seen guys go to digital scales with third and fourth decimals recently. I just don't think it humanly possible to see a difference of .001 or .0001 grains in accuracy on target. I guess what ever makes one feel warm and fuzzy.

I will admit to weighing more since having stepped into these smaller cases and calibers. Mostly from paying attention to the post saying to do so, see this on a regular basis from those with LOTS of experience. I study a fair bit as well on what powders seem to me to be border line fast, I then drop to one a bit slower. Seeing pressure spikes unexpectedly is not somthing I like or tolerate for very long.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:13 PM
Supporting Member

I feel way better about weighing every charge. But since I started reloading small calibers on an AP I was shocked to find that it seems like for the most part I get more consistent groups off the progressive.

All three of my Hornady powder measures (the cheapies and not the BR models) and both the rifle and pistol rotors/inserts are very accurate with the powders I choose.

I also found once set they don’t change, so once the AP is set up and I’m comfortable with the ‘operating’ powder dump, I self ever check it again until I reload primers (every 100 rounds). That’s from loading the smallest a 17 squirrel, pistols, and up to big bore large rifle.

Sometimes I wonder if volume measuring wouldn’t be more accurate and consistent than weight. Just can’t bring myself to agree with that thinking but sometimes it seems true and makes me wonder.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:18 AM

I use my scales to set my throwers, then check weigh one every 20 loads, I use RCBS throwers and they both are boring accurate. Plus or minus 0.01gn ain't gunna make bugger all difference.