Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2010, 12:36 PM

Ok guys you talked me out of it. I got to thinking about it last night and decided to just go with the .22 mag.

I am totally unimpressed with the killing power of my .17HMR, it does a good job on groundhogs as long as I head shoot them, but body shots have not been all that impressive. Fox don't always go right down from it either. It seems that with less than perfect angles on game it falls short. The main reason I want the .22 mag is for predator hunting.

NV17lvr, my buddy is a machinist as well as having gone through gunsmithing school so the technical end I am comfortable with. Your posts were interesting. The big question is would a factory contender barrel handle this experiment and you seem to have answered that question as well as to the quality of the 5mm brass.

How does the factory Centurion ammo 5mm killing power compare to the .22 mag? I still may be interested in a 5mm contender barrel.

Last edited by CGR; 12-23-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 PM

Default 5mm

I get as good as accuracy and speed with the Centurian 5mm ammo as I can get with my reloads in my contender barrels. If I try going much hotter with my reloads, I get back flash around my primers.

I get great accuracy from both the contenders.

Even from a cost standpoint the rimfire is pretty practical. 50 rounds of rimfire for $17-$19 vs primers, pills, powder and TIME.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

Default 22 mag

In my wet news paper tests at 50 and 100yds. the 22 magnum would out penetrate the 5mm Remington rimfire ammo. On coyotes with rimfires you want that penetration! Use the Winchester 40gr. HP or CCI Maxi MAG 40gr. HP or Federal 50gr. or RWS 40gr. HP if you can find it. I didnt like the 30gr. 5mm ammo. And Ive killed a dump truck load of coyotes with the 22 magnum.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:59 PM

Thank you for all the info guys. In my mind I was hoping to be able to get the 5mm up to 2500fps with a 35 grain berger. If at least 2400fps is not realistic I guess it isn't worth it. I wasn't all that concerned with the cost, I would call myself a low volume shooter. I only use the rimfire when I am forced to by the laws for my county. When I hunt outside my county I always carry a centerfire.

What is the weak point on the contender for reloading the rimfires, the extractor?

Last edited by CGR; 12-25-2010 at 07:08 PM.