Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-26-2018, 03:57 PM

Exclamation RECALL ON REMINGTON Model 700 and others due to unsafe trigers

Many of us have Remingtons, I thought it only prudent to notify all of you about something I have not heard mentioned much if at all here, or for that matter anywhere else.

WALKER E. LEEK MEMO dated 1947 PLT00340.pdf

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/07/25/...ettlement.html

http://www.remingtondocuments.com/th...ctive-trigger/
A quote from that site says this:

In its internal documents, Remington lists the different ways the trigger can fail:

FSR (fire when the safety is released)
FD (follows down, fires when the bolt is closed)
FOS (fires on safe)
JO (jars off)
SWW (safety won’t work)
Remington chose to keep the trigger defect secret for many years.

Remington Outdoors plans to file for bankruptcy protection, (it is owned in its entirety by Cerberus Capital Management LLC,) to avoid fixing this problem that can kill you and others by the rifle firing even when the trigger is not pulled. If you own stock, in a private equity known as Cerberus, you might want to send Stephen Feinberg a letter expressing your opinion.

Pulled from Wikipedia:

"Stephen A. Feinberg (born March 29, 1960) is an American billionaire financier, who is active in hedge fund management and private equity. He is known for turning around struggling businesses and making them profitable.[1] He is co-founder and chief executive officer (CEO) of Cerberus Capital Management. As of April 2016, his net worth is US$1.25 billion.[2] On May 11, 2018, U.S. President Donald Trump named Feinberg to head the President's Intelligence Advisory Board.[3]"

This guy is untouchable, so get ready for the end of Remington Arms as we knew it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/13/remi...rneys-say.html

That gun shops continued to sell these rifles infuriates me. EVERY SINGLE Rifle made before 2006 in my opinion is too dangerous to sell to someone until the trigger is replaced by a SAFE replacement.

Here is what Remington Arms knew and did about it since back in 1948.
In practice, some experts say that using a separate trigger connector makes the Walker fire control unreasonably dangerous. Since the connector isn’t actually attached to the trigger, the two pieces can separate, creating a gap for moisture, lubricants, debris and manufacturing artifacts to collect. This can throw off the alignment between the trigger and sear, meaning that, under certain circumstances, the rifle could fire without the trigger ever being pulled.

Remington learned very early that the Walker fire control group could pose a “very dangerous” situation. As W.E. Leek, a Remington Test Engineer, wrote in 1947, “there is evidence […] that the Connector, Safety Cam and Sear are not within design limits. This situation can be very dangerous from a safety and functional point of view.” Leek noted several instances in which a rifle had been made to fire simply by pushing the safety to its “off” position.

Before the Walker trigger assembly was ever put into use, the firing mechanism’s own inventor, Merle “Mike” Walker, had already become worried about the trigger’s safety. In fact, Walker proposed what he considered a “safer” trigger while the firing mechanism that would ultimately take his name was still in testing. His revised design, along with two other proposed solutions, were rejected by Remington executives over cost concerns, a fact only revealed when Walker’s taped court depositions were released in 2015.

In my opinion that means a Remington is now worth not much without an aftermarket or custom trigger installed.

Last edited by 17tbs; 07-26-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:57 PM

I can't figure out how this becomes 'new' news again, and again, and again, and.......... again?
Old 07-26-2018, 05:06 PM

Remington contacted me directly YEARS ago with this information and provided me with the paper work to go to my local Remington warranty center and replaced all of my triggers with out question even the rifles I had bought second hand, the current problems with Remington I believe are deliberate either to break the company or probably GROSS miss management, The RECALL was advertised in many sporting publications also and on many TV news shows
Old 07-26-2018, 06:15 PM
Administrator

as far as I recall, these recalls were associated with the OLD Rem 700's that were Pre-ADL/BDL. These rifles were the ones that required the safety to be turned to FIRE to open the bolt. These were made prior to the 1970's I believe. Not new at all as others have said. It is a serious issue though and bears repeating from time to time.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:18 PM

IMO, what's really unfortunate is I believe Remington received all of the blame when, to some degree, I believe it to a lot more than we will ever know, the problem was due to backyard gunsmiths adjusting the trigger down to light and with far to little sear engagement.

I've adjusted many Remington triggers and when they are set no lighter than around 2.25-2.5 lbs and with enough sear engagement, I've never had a single issue.

It's when people start fiddling with them and get them below 2.25lbs and especially with to little sear engagement is when they start having problems with bump fires, slam fires, firing when the safety is flipped off, etc.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:18 PM
Banned

Default Remington

Remington or no one else is touching the trigger on my 700! There's nothing wrong with those triggers! It's the shade tree gun smiths is the problem!!!
Old 07-26-2018, 06:20 PM

Remington is no longer owned by Cerberus. They have emerged from bankruptcy and are owned by the creditors in exchange for forgiving over $700 million of debt.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUSKCN1II24T
Old 07-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ditto Ramos

Same re-hash, story of a story, 60 minutes says.....friend of my brother blah blah blah. Because it's on the internet and I have a link it's true. Forget the timing with the elections approximately 90 days away. Let's just change some dates throw in a few half truths and run it up the flagpole, wadda ya say?

Read Remington's response to the segment 60 minutes ran...says it all.

Someone please stick a fork in this, it's done!

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 07-26-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:36 PM

Default Recall on Remington Model 700 and others to unsafe triggers

This has been hashed around for a few years now, and no one seems to remember the case that brought this all about, was a lady killing her son, when she was the one at fault for bringing a loaded rifle into a area, she should not have, then pointing it at her son, while holding the trigger and moving the bolt and the rifle fired. But some lawyers got ahold of this and away it went, all the fault of Rem and the 700 model trigger.
Millions of them are and were sold and very few others have had any issues, except when pilot error takes over.
I know I and others, that I shoot with, have more than one 700 Rem and have never had any issues with the trigger, as some claim.
99-100 times it is the pilot not the object being at fault. Bill K
Old 07-26-2018, 07:31 PM

I agree that is old news being hashed out again (probably by the anti-gun media). As I remember it, Remington was sold by CDR (investment bankers) back in '94 or so, and then CDR sold it to Cerberus a few years later. A few years later, 60 minutes revelation about the triggers which resulted in the new j-lock triggers. Also agree that unskilled/untrained person can make them unsafe.

Tags
bankruptcy, dangerous trigger, remington, remington m700