Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ruger 77/22's

I know this is a heated subject, however I have to weigh in with my experiences. I have 4 of the rifles, 22LR 22Mag 17M2 and 17HMR.

The 22 LR shot well and the trigger was decent right from the get go. 1/2" @50 yards with no work done. It's a very early one with no roll stamp on the side of the receiver.

My 22 mag. I bought used, the previous owner had the trigger worked on but that was it. The rifle is a solid 1" gun @100 yards with it's preffered ammo.

The M2 I purchased from one of our members. The trigger was terrible, measuring in at close to 8lbs. It took some work to get it to shoot, I brought the trigger down to 2 lbs., floated the barrel, shimmed the bolt and now it shoots a ragged hole @ 50 yards.

Now, my problem child The 17HMR. I did about every conceivable accuracy improvement possible and used 5 types of ammo. I did a 2lb trigger job, floated the barrel, glassed the action, shimmed the bolt, Loctite on the barrel shank and reduced torque on the barrel retention screws along with a fresh crown. The best group out of this rifle with 5 types of ammo is 3/4" at 50 yards and that group was not repeatable. I ordered the Green mountain 22" fluted barrel yesterday and gained a new garden stake.: I hope this new barrel solves my issues. I really try to buy US made products but in this case I wonder to myself if I should of gone with the backassward safety on the CZ for less money.

So, in my opinion there are some "bad" ones out there. For you fellas that have not had a bad one your lucky. I'm 3-4 for shooters. Just my .02

Aaron
Old 09-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

I've got 9 of them 22 22mag 17s 22 Hornet all great! Best built rimfires! Any thing I've heard bad about them is just more Internet bullsh"' !!got my first one 25 years ago had no proemd out of any of them! Ever !
Old 09-08-2018, 09:34 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
I've got 9 of them 22 22mag 17s 22 Hornet all great! Best built rimfires! Any thing I've heard bad about them is just more Internet bullsh"' !!got my first one 25 years ago had no proemd out of any of them! Ever !
Well, If you want one with a "problem" let me know...…...

Aaron
Old 09-09-2018, 12:50 AM

Default 77/22s

You have much more success than I. I’ve had several and none had decent accuracy. Sold them all and won’t be buying another.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:31 AM

Your going to have a really good one or a really bad one. I bought a really bad one, and after a Pacnor, fit by CPC and a Jard trigger along with a bedding job, is a really good one. If I did not love the looks of it and the rotary magazine I would never have put the money in it, because I would never get out close to what I put in it. FYI, this is not internet B.S. I "think" the newer ones are better, allegedly. If CZ would have been honest about bringing out a .17HH I probably would not have done it.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:34 AM

Never paid for one, but tried to help a buddy get one to shoot. Nada! That one went down the road too.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Your going to have a really good one or a really bad one. I bought a really bad one, and after a Pacnor, fit by CPC and a Jard trigger along with a bedding job, is a really good one. If I did not love the looks of it and the rotary magazine I would never have put the money in it, because I would never get out close to what I put in it. FYI, this is not internet B.S. I "think" the newer ones are better, allegedly. If CZ would have been honest about bringing out a .17HH I probably would not have done it.
Uh oh. I have a CZ in 17HH. Is there something about CZ's honesty or lack there of I should know?
Old 09-09-2018, 05:27 PM

I have also been bitten by the 77/22 "Bug" . I have one receiver and both the Sporter stock and the laminated Heavy BBL.
The MK2 shoots 3/8 @ 50 Green Mt--the 22lr GM .920 will shoot in the .2's @ 50--Factory HB in 22 Mag 1 1/4" @ 100- Factory HB HMR 1" @ 100.

The action has had the bolt shimmed,bolt face trued and set @ .0039 and stock pillar bedded. I have not set down and figured the $$$ in this set up pretty sure I could have purchased a Sako Quad and been much further ahead.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Hippy just pegged my bullshit meter!!!!
Old 09-09-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Uh oh. I have a CZ in 17HH. Is there something about CZ's honesty or lack there of I should know?
Before I built mine, I called CZ USA and they told me they had no plans to make one in .17 HH I am guessing they knew they were and done me wrong!