Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-07-2022, 05:49 PM

Default Starting my 580 Remington Project

I have two nice complete actions ready to head to Dennis Olson in Plains Montana for centerfire conversion and installation of 24 inch barrels 1:10 17 & 1:11 20 caliber. I will be sending along my 17 Garin chamber reamer, Go & No Go Gauges.

If anyone has a line on a 20 Garin chamber reamer that can be rented I would appreciate contact information.

I had planned to use Lilja barrels, but Olson has a line on a couple Douglas chrome moly barrels, so that is what I am going to go with.

I had planned to fabricate my own recoil lugs, but Dennis has them sitting there.

I have both Timney 788 triggers and Remingotn 580 series triggers sitting here and am inclined to go with Remington triggers that have the trigger pivot relocated and a sear engagement screw added. When I have the triggers apart I'll bore an inspection port in the trigger housing to provide view of sear engagement.

I am going to have Dennis Olson make a couple Shoulder Bump Gauges while he is chambering the barrels.

Dennis Olson has a lot of experience in doing these conversions. Here are a couple photos of a 580 in 19 Badger rifle put together by him.

I like the stock on the rifle in the photos. I have been inclined to go with a "factory" profile in higher grade walnut, I have used them on 580 series rifles and 788s for decades and they suit me just fine. If I can locate a fairly complete blank, I may go with one of each.

Last edited by JDHasty; 06-07-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:43 PM

That's a nice piece of lumber you have there!
Old 06-07-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
That's a nice piece of lumber you have there!

That's not mine. I wish it were, I would like to be able to replicate it. I was poking around on the web and stumbled across that photo.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:56 AM

I think I have the 20 Garin chamber reamer problem solved. I know a guy who supposedly has one, Dennis Olson knows the guy well and said if he has it he will send it up.

Getting my actions in the mail Monday morning.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:23 PM

Where I am at today is that I picked up my barreled actions and have sunk them into a pair of really nice 580 factory pattern walnut stocks. I have a couple converted triggers for them and the 17 is bedded in Devcon Steel.

Note: I will not work on these rifles with triggers on the barreled actions or even have 580/788 receivers or barreled actions sitting around the shop with triggers on them. That is a sure fire way to break the trigger stud off the receiver.

This 580 project is one that a cat name Dick Saunders who lived in Iowa that I used to correspond with got me interested in nearly 30 years ago. I was going to do the CF conversions myself, but Dennis Olson in Plains MT has done a lot of them and he does them for a very fair price.

I was going to do one in 17 Ackley Pee Wee then bought the Garin reamers/gauges/form set/dies etc from another guy here and decided that since I had two actions I might as well do one in 20 and one in 17. I am thinking of doing another on a low wall and using the Garin form set to make a rimmed version on the 327 Federal case.

I had Dennis add a second action screw in front of the trigger and will be using ADL aluminum trigger guards with the back action screw utilizing the existing hole in the front of the trigger guard. I bedded back past the second action screw and will scrape out just enough of the wood using my Fisher scrapers so that a dollar bill can be slipped between the back of the action and the stock.

Last edited by JDHasty; 09-19-2022 at 09:04 PM.