Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 02-25-2022, 02:24 AM

Default Gopher

A few years ago someone mentioned having a 17 or maybe 20 "gopher". Can’t remember which. I would sure like to see a reamer print of it if someone has one.
Dan
Old 02-25-2022, 04:32 AM
Supporting Member

Default Gopher

Dan,
I believe that is Ray Hauver’s case.
Drew
Old 02-25-2022, 01:11 PM
Supporting Member

Dan I did build a case I called the Gopher, but sure there are others who used the name. My Gopher has an OAL of 1.180 and a neck of .230. Shoulder (40*) dia is .368 and base is .373. It was based off my 17,20 and 22 Jav Imp reamers but run in short .320. I always thought the 17 Jav. was one of the best 17 cal , it just flat worked BUT I liked straight walled cases with 40* shoulders and long necks. Only the OAL was kept. I liked it well enough I ended up with 3 reamers and 6 head space gauges. That combinations gave me cases from the 17 Boomer to 22 Duster. To get the Dusters you have to run the reamer in .160 deeper. Thank God I had a gunsmith (Eddie Harren) that put up with my ideas. As to reamer prints mine were accidently threw into a dumpster along with over 40 years loading data. Kiff lists the 17 and 20 Jav Imp, not sure if they're mine or not but you might get a print from them. I used RCBS Load to draw ( thanks to Dan C) everything up but Quick Design would do it too plus you could transfer your design to Quick Load for loading data. I do have one of my old sketch books that I would draw up "what if's", I might have something more in there for dimensions, I'll check later.
Old 02-25-2022, 01:41 PM
Supporting Member

Here you go.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:04 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks Michael, I took those dimensions I gave from the 17 version, I expanded all my 20's to 22 Gopher for a gun Eddies is building now.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:47 PM

I am getting obsessed with these small calibers. Mainly because I really enjoy forming brass (including neck turning) and working up loads for them. Thanks to Drewh and rickiesrevenge I now have the 17 and 20 Vipers added to my collection. My anxiety is now telling me to start a new one. The “gopher” looks to be a good project. 17 and 20.
What kind of brass are you guys using for forming and what powders seems to work well in the “gopher”.
Thanks for all the help.
Dan

Thanks for the drawing Michael. That gives me a good comparison to the ones that I already have.