Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 AM
Supporting Member

Sounds like a plan and take your time, we have a busy weekend with the county fairground on. Taking the pine to a mill or firewood?

Ray reminded me to today about the article in SCN, maybe titled 14 with a 14? Might have to dig it out
Old 08-15-2014, 04:40 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Here ya go Gary:

Small Caliber News, spring 2000 vol.3-no.1-p.25, "14 for 14 with a .14" by Blaine Eddy
Old 08-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Supporting Member

Seems like after Bill Eichelberger passed back quite a ways the ultra small calibers became a lot less prevalent in discussions.
Reading his post here on the site back before the great crash of 2006 made me more cautious of them than interested. I was afraid I'd have the same experience Steve talked about above. Out here where I live between the wind and the distance a guy usually shoots the range available to the .14's didn't seem very feasible for rodents where I shoot.
Bills interview is on the home page under the header "Eichelberger Interview". A real committed pioneer of the ultra tiny !

http://www.saubier.com/smallcaliber/...interview.html

P.S.
You're right about the changes here GL. A lotta great new guys here now but I sure miss a lot of the old faces and direction of the thread discussions back then. Sure wish the 06 crash hadn't wiped out the archives .
Old 08-15-2014, 01:07 PM

Default pine and small calibers

Gary the pine was old, about 3 ft in diameter and dieing. They get dangerous standing and dead. It is almost impossible to even give it away. I'm piling it up and burning it just to clean up the mess. Lot of good wood giving to waste.
On the small caliber stuff under 17. I will continue to play with them because I have barrels and bullet making dies etc. Were it to do over knowing what I know now I doubt I would have built anything smaller than 17 caliber. Instead would have worked on a 8 to 15 grain bullet for the 17 to use as a limited range round. The light bullet from a small case would have filled the need at a huge cost difference. As I get older being able to say "yes I built one of those" just doesn't matter now. The challenge of doing something to prove I can has lost out to the fact that the necessary things of life take first place. The fun and games part of life is shared with my butt is tired and wants to take a nap. Years ago in his last days a friend said something that I understand better now. He was the first wildcat builder I personally knew. As a kid he was my mentor and friend. The old man put up with my never ending questions and answered in detail. Gave advice in my first wildcat build but made no effort to do any of the work. I later understood it was so I could taste the pleasure that comes from doing things yourself. Before he died I ask if he would change anything about his past. He said " I would spend more time talking to God, build fewer guns and enjoy shooting and being in nature more." I'm there now, and truly understand what he was saying. I enjoy life and friends, getup talking to God and say good night before going to sleep. Enjoy what you have while you can.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Supporting Member

Red, that's some pretty sound wisdom!!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Supporting Member

+1 what Ray said .
Old 08-18-2014, 03:42 PM

Default I'm about to test the water....

I am thinking hard about a 14 Walker on a Remington 700 action. I use the word 'thinking' until all of the pieces can be found.

Glenn
Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Supporting Member

Default 14 Walker

I've also been thinking about this cartridge in a Sako L46 action, any pros or cons?
Stan
Old 08-18-2014, 06:27 PM

Just my opinion,but, if I were to do another 14 I would consider the 14/221 Walker too big,and go no bigger than Hornet size cases, or even smaller than that.
Ken.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:57 AM

Default Smaller case

I agree that smaller cases are better for the 14's. Also being realistic about the range limits of the little bullets. Reeds round is a good case size or the 221/223 case cut to that length. For those that want to shoot in excess of 100/125 yards the 17's will serve you better. The cases for the 14's require a lot of form work.