Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
Kenny your so darn tight that I thought my computer was squeaking but realized it was your post. Seriously it's kill me to purchase factory loaded ammo, talk about taking the fun out if it😳

Anyone shoot any of this ammo yet
Eric Mayer was talking about the NTX at some time but I haven't seen any posts about it since
Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 AM

I believe the general concensus not too long ago was that the NTX load was still unseen on the consumer market. I have heard some consider pulling them from 17hmr to load into 17 hornet. Not very cost effective, but might be entertaining.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Supporting Member

The listed velocity looks kind of fun😎
Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
In his defense I got an email from him over the weekend saying the rifle is head my way. I sent the riflle back to him in Aprilf and his back log is supposed to one year.

We will see if I get a bill.

Finally I will have a BSA Francotte 17 Hornet but gopher season is over.

Grrrr...

The rifle came in and the extractor is fixed and works.

Yes, I was charged for fixing the extractor. That's not making me happy. But it gets worse.

When I sent the rifle back for correction I included two cases and the chamber reamer and indicated such in the cover letter. When the gun came back, I got the cases but no reamer.

I sent a letter back objecting to being charged for the repairs and asking for my reamer back.

Tonight I get a email from the guy saying when he received the box it was partially opened and no reamer was enclosed. He said he would look around and see if he can find it.

I sure as hell hope this 17 Hornady Hornet turns out to be a good gopher gun...something good has to come from this two year odyssey of malfunctions and misdeeds.

No Ice cream tonight. A little Famous Grouse over ice sounds better.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:44 PM

DD, you should identify this crooked "gunsmith" so the rest of us could avoid his shady business practices.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 AM

Friend Henry finaly got his CZ17H after trouble with firearms dept (North Wales Police) 9 weeks of phome calls but only had 200rds instead of the 1,000rds that was promised as part of the deal he is still waiting for the rest.
On top of that the magazine sticks and dont feed the next round and the red dot in the scope keeps going out.
He is very happy with the accuracy of the gun and factory ammo but we can see problems with supply for a long while to come so i have started loading for him.
Using my experiance in loading for my own 17A/H i loaded up 10rds for him using a little less powder to put over the crony and went out last night for velocity testing but sods law struck again the crony refused to work either "error" or nothing on the screen but it was printing a tight cloverleaf at 50 yds just a fraction higher than the factory ammo so after waiting 40 min for any rabbit/crow/pigeon to show but saw nothing put two coke tins up at 120yds and blasted them so no mater what the crony says when i fix it this homerolled ammo will do.
I have been costing consumables for the load
Viht N 120 powder 6 pence a pop,
Cci 400 primers 5 pence a pop.
Hornady 20gr V/Max 23 pence a head.

Thats 34pence a load using his own cases a lot cheaper than the £0.90 of factory ammo that is if he can get any.
It cost £46 for the dies and i already have all the other equiptment needed.
Not yet costed 17H cases or 22H cases but cant see them costing over 40 pence each and every time you use a case the cost comes down i have had over 10 re-loads from some of my cases and i dont scrap them i lose them in the field.
Home loading is the way to go.
Wally
Old 09-05-2014, 11:53 AM

Between 1952 and 1997 there was only one time when I had to wait for factory ammo and empty cases to get to the stores . I got a 308 Norma Mag rifle in the 60s and had to cut down and fire form 300 H&H cases to shoot the rifle. When Norma ammo got to the stores they were not over priced so I got ten boxes of 20 ea. Since retiring in 1997 I have purchased 17 HMR, 17 HM2, 204 Ruger, 17 Fireball, 221 Fireball, and 17 Hornet rifles. When I first read about the 17 Hornady Hornet cartridge in 2012 I knew I wonted a rifle. In Dec 2012 I got five boxes of ammo and started looking for a CZ 527 Varmint rifle. I order ammo and brass in March of 2013 and got five boxes of ammo and one box of brass , with one box of brass back ordered which I in got in July of 2014. In Dec 2013 I got the CZ rifle but then finding scope mounts and rings were a problem to find. I had gotten RCBS full length reloading dies in 2013 but the neck die was not available for some time. The CZ is one fine rifle . I got sub 1/2 in 100 yard groups when shoot off a bench rest using Hornady ammo. In July 2014 Cabelas had ammo so I got ten more boxes of 20 Gr 17 Hornet ammo. Never have I had to wait so long to get a rifle, ammo, brass, and shoot a rifle I wonted. Now, I have Lil Gun powder but cant find any 1680 powder.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:35 PM

Default 1680 for Lil Gun

Well Tuck2 I've got some of 1680 I'd trade for some Lil Gun, I'm in Utah PM me. I won't ship it But If your passing through Utah, or I'll be in Boise Id. 26 Sept .sgtg out
Old 09-05-2014, 03:41 PM

I took the Gun, a modified 1215 to the range yesterday to sight in. I had a 20 round of the first release factory ammo and 25 round of the new release ammo.

Here is the first three shots of the day, fired with the old factory on the right and the last three shots of the day fired with new factory.

This rifle still has the long forearm that 1215's always have. This winter I will cut this down and bed it. Then start load development. Hopefully I will have it for Gopher season 2015.

As to exposing this Gunsmith. Won't do it. He has done a lot of work for me and others. I have zero complaint about any of the previous work he has did for me. I am a gunsmith who can no longer do the work because of problems with my hands. I know good work when I see it. This guy does good work.

As a former gunsmith I know that some times things go wrong-ysually due to miscommunication. I can see where on my part I failed to clearly and precisely communicate. I also know this guy has a huge backlog and has had to take on help. I don't know if the help did this work or not.

I have another project that I am getting ready to send this guy. I will be very explicit in my instructions this time. I will as usual save all correspondence with him and will file and save the post office receipt-this time. I know I insured the shipment, just can't find the receipt.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Supporting Member

Default well...

Glad you cleared that up. I'm thinking, "Douglas is probably one of the most knowledgeable Martini Gunsmiths out there and he's sending out his work??" Sure do understand things not working as well as they did.