Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-13-2014, 01:08 PM

Two questions about this head cupping.

1. Does it go away after the first loading?

2. Does it affect accuracy?
Old 07-13-2014, 01:25 PM

The new brass I just bought does NOT have the dot left and right of the Hornady name, same as yours.

I guess that may mean they are using a different brass for fully loaded ammo?
Old 07-13-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post

That image looks better than the dishing I saw in the blown up ammo picture at the top, but that top image looks like the earlier bad ammo. I do see daylightin the vernier depth mike image and it looks like the straight section of the Micrometer hits the outside edge and the base is sloped in toward the primer. I do see the base isn't pushed up fully on the base of the ammo, I am sure that picture is hard to capture.
Ya, the pic was to illustrate the positioning of the mic. The measuring was done with more precision. The dish effect does seem more visually significant without the straight edge up against it.

I will post a pic of fired brass once I get a chance to fire some off.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Two questions about this head cupping.

1. Does it go away after the first loading?

2. Does it affect accuracy?
I am using dished brass from old loaded ammo. It does not go away on firing or reloading but I can also see no difference in the accuracy of the loads, compared to using formed Privi brass. None the less, the cupped heads annoy the heck out of me because they just shouldn't be like that.

Given how inexpensive and good quality the Privi brass is I am sticking with it. I will sell off the surplus loaded Hornady ammo I have come next gopher season.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks Jeremy.

The picture of the new brass shows me 2 things, assuming my eyes don't deceive me. The left, "dot" brass looks to have internal flashing needing to be deburred inside the case, and it also looks like there is a ring from Staking, or it just isn't a nice radius like the new, non dot brass? Maybe they did change the primer pocket process as the non dot has a smooth radius, to my eyes.

I wonder if they are using old brass to make ammunition, and a new batch for reloading components? It wouldn''t surprise me that during their last manufacturing run of 17HH ammo, when the brass was crap, that some executive decided to stop the 17HH run and used that assembly line to change over to, say, 22 lr or some other centerfire ammo that was in demand more than our 17HH.... and when they did they had more brass left on the floor. They do seasonal runs, change what they are making, etc all the time. They probably don't continue making ammo until all the brass is gone, I'd wager a bet on that.

Gotta run, off to Hana...lol

Allen
Old 07-14-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am using dished brass from old loaded ammo. It does not go away on firing or reloading but I can also see no difference in the accuracy of the loads, compared to using formed Privi brass. None the less, the cupped heads annoy the heck out of me because they just shouldn't be like that.

Given how inexpensive and good quality the Privi brass is I am sticking with it. I will sell off the surplus loaded Hornady ammo I have come next gopher season.
So its a question of aesthetics and nothing objective.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Supporting Member

Default Dished case heads......

Seems to me that a dished case head would leave that same amount of primer Unsupported when the pressure from firing backs the primer out as far as it can go. This could be one other reason we had 8 total primer failures, approx 10 more leaking/blackened primers, and bolt face damage when a new CZ 17HH was used on a ground squirrel trip. This was out of 850 rounds of earlyfactory new ammo- prior to staked ammo. By 'failure' I mean primer falling out of the case when case extracted, blackening of case head and action area, gas cutting of bolt face.
I think the dished case heads could decrease the margin of safety.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 07-14-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Thanks Jeremy.

The picture of the new brass shows me 2 things, assuming my eyes don't deceive me. The left, "dot" brass looks to have internal flashing needing to be deburred inside the case, and it also looks like there is a ring from Staking, or it just isn't a nice radius like the new, non dot brass? Maybe they did change the primer pocket process as the non dot has a smooth radius, to my eyes.

I wonder if they are using old brass to make ammunition, and a new batch for reloading components? It wouldn''t surprise me that during their last manufacturing run of 17HH ammo, when the brass was crap, that some executive decided to stop the 17HH run and used that assembly line to change over to, say, 22 lr or some other centerfire ammo that was in demand more than our 17HH.... and when they did they had more brass left on the floor. They do seasonal runs, change what they are making, etc all the time. They probably don't continue making ammo until all the brass is gone, I'd wager a bet on that.

Gotta run, off to Hana...lol

Allen
The non dot has a similar ledge around the primer pocket, it just didn't show in the pic. I would bet you are correct about some older brass being left over and used this year for the ammo line. Hopefully I will find some ammo on the shelf to check out soon. I should have looked at the Hornady 22 Hornet I saw at Cabelas to see what the head stamp looked like but I didn't think of it at the time
Old 07-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
So its a question of aesthetics and nothing objective.
No not just aesthetics. Hemiallen is correct, the cupped faces allow the primers to back out a bit. In my case, not enough to cause any issues, and replacement primers fully seat after uniforming, but still not correctly built brass. They also have uneven primer pockets that NEED uniforming as do the flash holes. At the price of the brass or loaded ammo, it should be spot on, not this crap.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:50 PM

I figured I would update this. I forgot to cancel a backorder and got some new 17HH ammo. The lot # is 3141884 and it has the new brass, no signs of cupping and no dots on each side of Hornady on the headstamp