Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 PM

I've thought seriously about a .14. Haven't done it yet though.

Aaron
Old 08-10-2014, 10:56 PM

Default Still some sub caliber builds

I got a set of reamers from Pacific not long ago for a 17 and 14 on a 25 acp case. With rim fire ammo a pain to get figure a 22, 17 and 14 on the 25 acp case would be fun. There is also a 12 caliber in the works by someone else on the Squirrel case. It is not that nothing is being built, just that not much is being written about it. Finding someone to make barrels smaller than 14 caliber is a pain and expensive. Buying the drills, reamers, etc. and no guarantee anything will come of it. Usually these things are like the dry holes well drillers punch sometimes. Jeff Lawrence had a talent that is missed. Bill Eichelberger being able to put things together, Todd of the Small Caliber News, fanning the coals. It encouraged not just building but sharing about things. The economy being in a rut, reloading supplies hard to find doesn't help. Builders getting older and younger generations not following doesn't look good. We need some young blood to get fired up and pump some life into things.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:11 PM

Last May I stopped in to see Marty at Twisted Barrels, he showed me two barrels that he was working on, one in 12 and one in 10 caliber. I haven't talked to him since, but I would like to know how they came out. I know the 12 at least was on a 17HH case.

Bob
Old 08-11-2014, 02:02 AM
Supporting Member

14 on a 25 acp💎 That's real interesting. I'd be interested in hear what rifle? You never cease to amaze me 😊

Bob what are your 14build on?

Anyone using contenders? Handguns? Just curious.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:59 AM

I think I'll build a 14 Shrew when I get around do doing a .14. Maybe a hornet.

Aaron
Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 AM

Default 17&14

Gary the 17 and 14 will be on 580 Remington rifles. A 14 will be a handgun with a 10" barrel on a Contender. I have a Single Six Ruger that when I have time will convert to center fire. I have 22 and 17 caliber cylinder blanks and barrels for it. Should make an interesting revolver.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:49 PM

I still would like to do a 14 walker on a contender 18-20" barrel.
However, everyone I found online regarding .14 caliber items While referencing their websites. Emails and phone calls made. No online website dealer/person was able to produce the barrel I was hoping for.
Got a lot of the --we have this, or we have that. but not what you are looking for.
The funny part was. We can sell you bullets, rods, dies and cleaning jags, but no barrel. ? What would I do with all that stuff then.
To lite for a legitimate paperweight.
So it was moved to the back burner for now.
I'll still do it, but need to find someone or somewhere who has the products that their site displays.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:28 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Redneck View Post
Gary the 17 and 14 will be on 580 Remington rifles. A 14 will be a handgun with a 10" barrel on a Contender. I have a Single Six Ruger that when I have time will convert to center fire. I have 22 and 17 caliber cylinder blanks and barrels for it. Should make an interesting revolver.
You are SO AWESOME!! We need to have another voice call someday! I want to talk about that 10" barrel and maybe a rf 17 hm2 mark# 😍
Old 08-14-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Redneck View Post
Where did you get .17 caliber cylinder blanks?

Aaron
Old 08-15-2014, 12:41 AM

Default cylinder blanks and Gary's call

Sir, I had a guy that made cylinder blanks for custom revolver smiths make up several Single Six blanks years ago. They are in the rough and require fitting, drill and ream then chambering. Pacific tool does revolver reamers.
Gary I'll email you when I get some things caught up. Put a big pine on the ground next to my shop. Will take a few days to cut it up and clean up the mess.