Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Supporting Member

Default Has anyone here fiddled with a CZ Varmint in .22 Mag.??

I'm real curious what kinda accuracy they show at 100ish yards? I think the real beef with .22 Mag accuracy compared to the .17 HMR is not in the rifles but the ammo itself. A quick look around the web at my favorite stores tells me that .22Mag ammo may be impossible to find anyway so this might well be a moot point.
At any rate, I've had real good luck with CZ's for accuracy and of late the .22 Mag has been on my mind. Any input from CZ .22 Magnum owners would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:58 PM

I have a CZ 452 in 22 WMR. Bought it the afternoon of 9/11/2001, so it I remember it well. I tried lots of diffferent ammo initially, trying to find what it likes, Win, Rem, CCI, Federal, ranging from 30 to 50gr. The two best ammos were Winchester Supreme (black box, 34gr HP) and Remingtom Premiere (35 gr ? VMAX clone), I don't know what they are called today, since everything has changed. Both shot right at 3/4" for 5 at 100yds. The other ammo shot roughly 1.25 to 2 inch groups. The worst ammo tried was the Winchester Dynapoints, which were not jacketed bullets, just plated swaged or cast bullets, and over 3+" groups. I got a box of the Hornady 22WMR just for grins, but haven't shot it yet. I have a couple bricks of Supremes, my supply is okay for now, as I don't shoot the 22WMR much. I greatly prefer the Hornet instead. Hope this helps.

Last edited by TinMan; 08-16-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-16-2014, 10:19 PM

Default 22 Mag.

had a marlin 22 mag. years ago never shot groups only patterns( didn't try to many different loads only what I could find locally) got rid of it when I got my 527 22 Hornet, no need for a 22 mag! then one day a 452 FS shows up used, went and looked at it, now my wife never encourages me to make a gun purchase but when she saw the wood on it she said I think you should get it! Well I did and with some cheap Federals it would group1 1/4" at its best to 1 3/4" at 100 yrds with the Hornady loads 1" to 1 1/2" once in a great while will shoot sub. 1" now if I could just find some ammo.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 PM

I have read that the main problem with .22 WMR WAS the ammo, not the rifles, Doug.

With that in mind, some years back, I bought a Marlin, 5 round magazine fed bolt rifle in .22 WMR. It was a cheap model, with sporter weight barrel.

I tried the newest, latest ammo and some old standbys.

WW 40 gr. HP same ammo of 60years ago shot between .5 and .80" virtually every group. The new, supposedly more accurate ammo all grouped 1" or larger- generally much larger. Seems to me, the Fed grouped 1", but cannot remember the bullet it used. I only had one box of it, anyway. Remington's green box ammo was sold to me at $20.00 for 50 - they had one box listed at $24.95 and since I wanted to try everything available to me, I gave them $20.00 for it. It shot almost 2" - with 33gr. green tips- YUK accuracy.

This was all about 20 to 24 years ago now, and if i was to do it again, I'd either buy a Marlin Varmint weight barrel, or a CZ & expect good accuracy. A buddy of mine bought a new Marlin varmint in .22mag last year. He says it shoots around an inch to just under an inch - he only shoots at local gravel pit, elbow resting off his truck hood with a 3-9x Leupold scope. I bought his Marlin .17HMR last spring gun show from him & it shot 1" inch to 1 1/4 inches. For me, ofs rear bag with bipod, it shoots .6 to .8, averaging about 3/4" at 100 meters. It is not as accurate as my last one, also a Marlin - should not have sold it. So - does that mean his Marlin .22mag is a 1/2 moa shooter - maybe?

I'd buy one today, but I've already got 3 HMR's - the Marlin HMR is the second best - Martini is the best. The Savage does not compare, but still will shoot around an inch - but with so much while between the holes, it looks horrible. The calipers say otherwise, but then what's good enough?

There is no way a .22 mag can match the Martini or Marlin .17HMR in 200yard rat shooting, I'm sure. The drop and groups don't support that type of shooting with the .22, however if coyotes are it, then the .22 Mag and old style WW 40gr. Hollow Points are IT - out to 100yards or so. They do hit harder - a LOT harder.

My Uncle showed us, when we were kids back in Ontario, that His Mosberg Single Shot .22 WMR was a 175yard groundhog rifle - time and again - with those same 40gr. WW HP's.

so - is it the ammo or the guns? definitely, maybe one or the other, or both - maybe?

Last edited by Daryl; 08-16-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:55 PM

Have not Fooled with the 22 Mag for over 20 years as I too found it to be INACCURATE -The guys over at Rimfire Central tell me different I have a Ruger 77/22 that has had about as much work done to it that can be and have a 22 mag BBL for it.
I do know that the No Longer Imported RWS 22 Mag ammo was "Head and Heels" better in the accuracy department at that time but was twice as expensive.
Heard recent rumors of them reintroducing it in the US again--It sure would be a good time as 22 MAG ammo is the ABSOLUTE hardest of any rimfire to find in todays market

Jim
Old 08-17-2014, 12:59 AM
Supporting Member

Default I traded for one recently....

..because I too wanted to see what a GOOD factory barrel would with a 22 Win Mag. It's an American 452 because I've not found a varmint 452 that I can remember. Trigger needs tweaking but one thing I noticed is that it had a bit more recoil than my 452's in 17HM2, 17HMR, and of course 22LR. I shoot mostly the 17HMR but wanted a 22 Mag to both 'play with' and use for coyotes in the back yard.
I had Marlin 782 and 882's years ago. Their best accuracy was with Winchester 40 gr before the later plastic tipped ammo was available. The only other ammo I tried was Federal and CCI but they were noticably less accurate in the two Marlins.
I think the 22 Rimfire Magnim is still a worthwhile chambering,...we just have been enamored with the new 17HMR and Mach2 because better bullets were created for them.
I really like the 17s but am enjoying the 22 mag again!
Answer: have shot it only once at the range and it shows promise. Not like the 17HMR but then I've got about 10 different types of 22 mag ammo to try, the trigger to 'get right', and will crown the barrel when I get a round tuit. The recoil is just a nudge at the shoulder, but it makes me realize I'm firing off something with more power apparently. Look out coyotes.
Did CZ make a varmint 452 in 22 mag??

Last edited by Alan in GA; 08-17-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 AM

Alan in GA,

Yes CZ did make a 452 varmint in 22 magnum and I know because I have one.

Montdoug,

I have only shot my CZ 452 varmint at 50 yards, but I was getting 3 shot 1/2" or less with multiple groups. I hope to have some time this fall to shoot it at 100 yards.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:36 AM

I actually have an old box of that "match grade" .22WMR RWS ammo; it doesn't seem to shoot as well as Remington plastic tips in my HB 982 Marlin w/Rifle Basix trigger and "carbon fiber" stock. Although the straight-walled .22 mag cartridge will never be as inherently accurate as the .17 HMR, I prefer the WMR for Eastern woodchucks.
For what it's worth, there's at least a couple of CZ 455 Varmints in .22M on Guns America. (Also a slew of .22 Hornets, which are usually hard to find.) But, if it were me I'd get one of the 512 semi-autos....much more fun.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:54 AM
Supporting Member

I don't know about inaccurate, this is a photo of a target at 100yds with my wifes rugerr 77/22. The shot off target to the right was a sighter when setting up scope, the next is a 5 shot group shot with rem 33grn bullets. Its a factory pencil barrel it sits in a Boyds thumbhole stock. Trigger was done, barrel was knurled making it a press fit in the receiver

Johno
Old 08-17-2014, 04:56 AM

I have a Ruger 77/22 Mag HB that will shoot nice sub-MOA groups with the Remington Premier and the old Federal Premium with the 30 grain Sierra bullet.
The Winchester Premium was a close third.

Haven yet found the magic with my CZ452 American. Just picked up a CZ455 with 22LR and 22 Magnum barrels, but it hasn't made it out to the range as yet.

I think it's all about the ammo. There really isn't much in the way of inexpensive 17 HMR ammo on the market, while there are many choices of "cheap" 22 magnum ammo to be found.