Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2014, 08:08 AM

I think Johno found the answer....get the wife to do the shooting!
Ken.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Supporting Member

LOL, she's a good shot mate, but not that good

Johno
Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
..because I too wanted to see what a GOOD factory barrel would with a 22 Win Mag. It's an American 452 because I've not found a varmint 452 that I can remember. Trigger needs tweaking but one thing I noticed is that it had a bit more recoil than my 452's in 17HM2, 17HMR, and of course 22LR. I shoot mostly the 17HMR but wanted a 22 Mag to both 'play with' and use for coyotes in the back yard.
I had Marlin 782 and 882's years ago. Their best accuracy was with Winchester 40 gr before the later plastic tipped ammo was available. The only other ammo I tried was Federal and CCI but they were noticably less accurate in the two Marlins.
I think the 22 Rimfire Magnim is still a worthwhile chambering,...we just have been enamored with the new 17HMR and Mach2 because better bullets were created for them.
I really like the 17s but am enjoying the 22 mag again!
Answer: have shot it only once at the range and it shows promise. Not like the 17HMR but then I've got about 10 different types of 22 mag ammo to try, the trigger to 'get right', and will crown the barrel when I get a round tuit. The recoil is just a nudge at the shoulder, but it makes me realize I'm firing off something with more power apparently. Look out coyotes.
Did CZ make a varmint 452 in 22 mag??
They sell them here:
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...pVKnbH9hSBPHS0
Old 08-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Banned

Default 22 mag

Ive shot the CZ 455 in 22 magnum and it shot good, about like most 22 magnums, it shot around 1/2" at 50yds and 1 1/2" at 100yds. The 22 magnum was designed for killing its not a target round!
Old 08-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Supporting Member

These 5 round groups, shot at 50 yards, are from a Cooper LVT using Remington Premier 33 V-Max's. It is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned.

Here are some three round groups with CCI TMJ's.

Last edited by sdbirddogs; 08-17-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Banned

Default 22 magnum

Good shooting! If you want to keep your 22 magnum accurate shoot lot#s! I you find some 22 magnum that your rifle loves do everything you can do to buy every bit of it. Then if you want real accurate 22 magnums make a rim thickness gauge and weight cases! But buy the same lot numbers is the key.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Supporting Member

Default 22 magnum.....

although the 17 rimfires I have will probably outshoot it, I think 22 mag ammo COULD be made for accuracy if desired [and some has been made].
However the 22 magnum is still an interesting round and I'm anxious to get this one back out and shoot it some more off the bench. Gotta get this trigger fixed first [lightened].
I've acquired quite a few different brands of ammo through the years, problem is only one or two boxes of each brand : I
Old 08-17-2014, 07:26 PM

When I first began searching for ammo for my CZ 22WMR, I used a Sinclair 'nut' tool to check the OAL and the head to ogive dimentsion of the various brands and types of 22WMR ammo, similar to using it for checking ogive to lands like a centerfire round. I shot groups for accuracy, but found that the best shooting types were also the longest rounds measured from head to ogive. Like fat cat said, that along with rim thickness and/or weight might help sort out selections.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:06 PM

I have a CZ 452 varmint in .22 mag, also have the same rifle in .17 HMR. I bought them because their is CCI Lead Free ammo available in both cartridges. The .17 is a tack driver with lead free at 100, turning in sub 1" groups, the .22 mag gives me about 2" at 100 using lead free which is fine for hunting. Using lead ammo you can cut those groups by 1/4 moa or better depending on the ammo.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Supporting Member

Default CZ 452 in 22WMR

I have an American 452 in 22Mag and the only negative thing about it is the feeding from the magazine. This is a well known trait of these rifles and has been kicked around on RFC quite a bit. They are very particular on the ammo you feed them. Mine would feed the Rem Premier ammo very well and struggled with most everything else. By that I mean you couldn't load up a mag full and run them through quickly without some jiggling and double stroking. Some guys successfully modify the feed lips on the mags, most don't. Lucky for me the best performing ammo was also the Rem Premier but when you can find it, it's pretty pricey 18-20.00 50/bx. Before I would buy a 452 again I would look for the later versions with the better trigger, 453/455. Maybe they've ironed out the feeding.