Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Supporting Member

Default 22 K-Hornet Junior

While reading 22 Cal Varmint Rifles there was a reference to the 22 K-Hornet Junior made by Lysle Kilbourne. It had a OAL of 1.065. He wanted a round for the old low walls at about 2000 fps. Anyone ever hear of this? I kind of proves there's not much new, it was the early mid 40's Mink design.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:57 PM

I seem to remember a "junior" for the Kay Chuk but that has been a while.

I would bet that the 22 LongSnapper(Bob Snapp) would be pretty close to your mentioned case.

The Kay Chuk and LongSnapper were mainly around the K22's of the day, but believe that some martini's were put in LongSnapper as well.

A 22 mag centerfire has been and still is.................kinda interesting.

Seems like when I read about a new case coming out, that it kinda was done before I was born in a lot of cases. Glad the wheel of knowledge is still being polished some.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Supporting Member

Rick you're right, the 22 Long Snapper is the same length. Did Bob Snap do that one?
Old 10-02-2016, 09:37 PM

Ray,

I believe that Bob Snapp was the fellow behind the design of the LongSnapper, think his was mainly aimed at the K22 and martinis..........but of course, I believe he also converted the Wall's and others to wildcats.

Looks like to me, the Ruger super single six would be a natural as well; but I digress a little.

Seems like there is a hardbound book on the old 22 hornet wildcats, but that escapes me right now.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Supporting Member

Shop up the road had a K-22 in a Kay Chuck, I think was the chambering. A few of Jim's went home with me but not that one.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:05 PM

Ray- I have always laughed about the creation of wildcats around here or anywhere else. Unless you are the first person to ever touch a newly created piece of brass, ie. 222. Then odds are slim that a person is going to come up with a new wildcat that has never been created. PO Ackly probably necked the 30 carbine case down to every caliber when he was playing with it and others changed the name of it as if it is something new. The 221 case is another.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Supporting Member

Rick I wish Ruger would bring back the their old Hawkeye , that was a great pistol platform. Colt made the old Camp Perry single shot . I wish I was smart enough to be able to modify a current gun into one of those models. Qaz you're absolutely right, there's few that come to mind that are original. I would guess Gw's little case based off the 17 CCM would be since the brass is so hard to find. I know those cases that I've done have probably been made a hundred times before. Doug was told by Kiff there 20 versions of the 20 A.H alone.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:55 PM

Ray,

I have never seen a 256 Hawkeye or the Camp Perry 22 in the flesh, only pictures. Different times I reckon,........... good times back then.

A friend showed me some detailed pictures of the 256 Hawkeye. All these years I thought it was a swing out single shot cylinder. As usual, things to be learned, the pictures showed that the breechblock(?) pivoted around the center pin, and housed the firing pin. The cartridge went up into the barrel and had a specialized extractor ala single action rod. I am unclear at this time how the block locked up, but maybe eventually will be enlightened. Kinda ahead of its time; kinda like some of the early scoped revolvers.

Another friend gave me some spent 7.62 Nagant brass shot in an officer's revolver. Kinda neat, odd, brass. I necked some up to 6mm, 22, and 17 just for fun, full length. Kinda reminds me a little of the old 25-20 S.S. Always thought from a nostalgia point of view, that a rim would be ok, but with today's modern actions; the rim is not a necessary item, like in the No.1.

Wildcats are wildcats, never know what is what..........but that is some of the allure to some. I hope wildcatting does not die out.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Supporting Member

Here are a few photos of the 22 Long Snapper on the link below; scroll down near the end of the 13-post thread:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...?f=12&t=184662
Old 10-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks Don.