Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2016, 09:54 PM

Default Carbine Cased Wild Cats

Has anyone out there got one of James Callhoon's 19 Badger rifles based on the CZ527 action? I'm wondering does he modify the extractor claw to suit the carbine case rim? On his website it says in the list of rifle modifications "extractor tuned".

I'm wanting to hear from anyone who owns one of his rifles what work he has done to the extractor.

The reason why I'm asking is there seems to be a large gap between the bolt face and the cartridge base because the carbine rim is thinner than the hornet case for which it was designed for.

Anyone having firsthand experience with these rifles?
1) does this large gap effect primary extraction and
2) ejection of fired case?

Question for the gunsmiths: is there any way to increase extractor claw thickness to reduce this gap? E.g. Tig weld buildup extractor claw? Or will welding/heating ruin the steel?

Last edited by BG17; 10-14-2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Title changed
Old 10-14-2016, 11:56 PM

my inclination would be to move the bolt face forward if the firing pin protrusion is adjustable.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:22 AM

I have a 19 badger necked down to 17 cal. James didn't do it but yes you have to work on the extractor if you want to feed it single shot and not out of the clip. You do not have to weld or anything on the bolt face if you want to feed it single shot. Just have to work on the extractor so it goes around the carbine case when you close the bolt.

Last edited by L.Sherm; 10-15-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:18 AM

I just looked at mine (I have a couple of .19 Badgers- they're great!) I compared it next to a CZ527 .221FB bolt and Jim has done noticeable modification to the extractor. I can try to post the pictures I took tomorrow.

Probably the best thing you can do is give Jim a call and see if you can send your extractor or if needed, entire bolt to him and have him do the modification. Jim is very likable, fair, and I can assure you, the job will be done perfectly.

I was hunting/shooting with Jim Last spring, and I bought and was using a new single shot follower in my new .221 FB. Anyway, Jim was not happy with the functioning of the extractor on this new .527/.221FB. When we got back to his shop, He "tuned" it. Now it is perfect. He showed me exactly what he was doing, but, I really can't remember the process exactly.

My buddy Dan and I have thousand's and thousand's of rounds down the tubes of our .19 badgers. Exclusively Gophers and prairie dogs. Couldn't be happier with them!

Neil

Last edited by NeilA.; 10-15-2016 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:10 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies I'm in Australia and can't send bolt to USA
My rifle has no trouble loading single shot and feeds well from the mag but it does not eject the case clear of the action every time some times it falls out of the extractors grip and lays in the action on top of the mag
I'm thinking if the gap between the bolt face and extractor claw was smaller and held the carbine case rim against the bolt face it would fling the cases clear of the action
I just can't work out how to close the gap ????

Rifle is a 17 peewee Brno zkw465

Do you 19 badger shooters have problems with spent cases not ejecting cleanly ??
Old 10-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Supporting Member

What state are you in? Ive got a badger and a mate has a 17 pee wee I built on a CZ action I imported from Calhoon

Johno
Old 10-15-2016, 08:52 AM

Default Nsw

Hi Jono I'm in New South Wales south west slopes about 2hr from Canberra
Does your rifle fling the cases clear ??
Old 10-15-2016, 09:26 AM
Supporting Member

Indeed it does mate, i'm down at Orbost in far east gippsland. I get up around Albury from time to time. Shoot me a pm or email and i'll try and wotk something out with you and you can have a play with the badger

Johno
Old 10-15-2016, 09:42 AM

Default Well do

Well do Johno thanks
Old 10-15-2016, 03:01 PM

Hi, I am having trouble posting photos as usual. I managed to put a couple of pictures in an album in my profile. If that isn't working, PM me your email address and I can send them that way.

In the photos, the wider extractor is .221FB and the narrower one is Calhoon's .19 Badger.

Last edited by NeilA.; 10-15-2016 at 03:08 PM.