Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-18-2016, 01:06 PM

Default 17 Bumble Bee Interest....

Good morning Gentlemen, I have been a member for quite a few years and visit frequently but have never posted before, so this is my first. Was wondering if anyone on here shoots a 17 Bumble Bee? I have a Martini Cadet I am considering rebarreling for my granddaughter.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Supporting Member

Default Brass availability

I do not have a Bumble Bee, but have a suggestion that you might find out if the Starline 32-20 will form into Bumble Bee brass first. I say this because I have both a Killer bee and a regular .218 Bee and Brass has been very hard to find in the last couple of years. Do you already have dies, if not perhaps someone with them can answer that question. I may have some of the Starline left from trying to neck down to bee that I would donate to the cause.
Drew
Old 10-18-2016, 02:38 PM

Default Brass availability

Drew, I appreciate the offer of the Starline brass, but I have 9 bags of unopened Winchester 218 Bee brass I have been saving.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:57 PM

Dennis,

I built up a No.1 in 17 Bumble Bee a few years ago. The Bumble was on my bucket list of wildcats read about since I was a kid, so just did it for the experience.............found out that I kinda like it. I do not shoot it much anymore, my ranges have dried up.

I used a Shilen #4 chrome moly barrel and the donor was a No.1B. So just to have something I saw in the Ruger No.1 book, I used the B wood and put on factory iron sights(quarter rib with folder and banded front) ala the S model. Mine is a full sized rifle for me(I am average sized sorta speak)

Way before the rifle got built, I bought off the net; the 17 Bumble Bee RCBS forming dies and a set of full length sizer/seater dies; again RCBS brand. I bought a reamer from Dave Kiff's outfit and has been ok. RCBS would not tell me anything about dimensions of their dies, so winged it with the reamer; and guess just lucked out.........seems to work fine for my needs.

So far I have used only the 20 gr v-max in the Bumble with IMR4227. One can find the loads on the Hodgdon site. Not a lot of Bumble loading info anymore other than old magazines/books but the IMR4227 seems to go bang.

The forming of brass I reckon can be done with a set of speciality dies made up like the generetic benchrest forming dies or use the RCBS dies. RCBS is a fine setup but the forming dies are pricey if buying new. I ran into some on the net for about half or so, and have worked ok.

The only thing that I ran into is that in forming from 218 bee(Winchester) the forming set came with an inside neck reamer(straight chucking reamer), so when everything was done forming/reaming and ran thru the sizer, the bullet was too loose for my liking. So I went down to a machinery supply house and bought another(slightly smaller) reamer. That cured my neck tension issue on the formed/sized brass. Obiviously one can approach somewhere in between and outside neck turn.

I have a Cadet action laying on my bench now.......thinking about what it is to become. Have an old octagon barrel laying there and a set of wood for a pump shotgun fitted to the cadet action, probably leaning to a 17 Khornet now since I have one Bumble already. I would counsel, as I am sure you already know; to bush the firing pin hole on the old cadet down to today's standards. Some martini breechblocks are hardened to some degree I might note; others....not so much.

I have pondered doing a Ruger single six or something of the like in the Bumble, but no time now. Even perhaps running the bumble reamer in sightly deep and creating a 17 bumble bee magnum of sorts, but time is short.

My best on your endeavor, what memories are made of.

Rick
Old 10-18-2016, 04:27 PM

Default Martini Cadet

Several years ago I built varmint rifle on a Cadet. The firing pin hole was very large, but rather than bush it I sent the breechblock to Restorative Welding,run by Pete Nagel 815 732-1249. He TIG welded the hole and I filed and stoned it flat and redrilled it then turned the pin to fit. Worked great.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Default Martini Cadet

Thanks for the info L Rivard. The three Cadets I have are already bushed, so I keep the info incase I get another.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:15 PM

Rick, thanks for the reply. Sounds like you had a pretty good time with the Bumble Bee. Have you tried AA1680 or 2230 powder? I shoot the 1680 in my 17 Squirrel and get great results. I use the 2230 in my Mach 4 and am very happy with that. Do you still have the Bumble Bee reamer? Would be interested in buying it if you are apt to selling it.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:03 PM

Dennis

I bought some 1680 a while back for the 17 Khornet. Not used the 2230, still have some of the old standby's for the 222/223 case sizes.

I recently bought a 22 squirrel reamer for a small frame revolver project, just one of those sale things. I will keep the 1680 in mind, recently saw some more at the local gunshop.

I guess I really do not resell much, stuff just kinda collects around here for future(dreaming?) endeavors; thanks for the kind offer though. I am sure PTG will make another bumble bee reamer with ease.

The bumble bee case forming is a bit tedious, but I enjoy that type of thing. Part of the hobby I reckon. Most of the bumble bee guys have some time in grade, perhaps the call will come to others in time huh?

Perhaps you will consider showing a picture of the finished rifle sometime, I have not seen too many bumble bee rifles and would enjoy that.

Rick
Old 10-19-2016, 11:23 AM

Default Dennis welcome aboard....

Your project and post are what makes this such a great site.After all the really small stuff is what it's all about,lots of great guys here,hopefully Gary W will pipe up,not sure if he has a bumble bee.I know that he has dabbled in lots of the small stuff.While I do have a 17Ackley Bee and 17HeBee,they are so close to the 17Mach1V I think a 17BumbleBee makes a lot of sense for a petite 17
Good luck on your project,can't wait for pictures.
Matt
Old 10-19-2016, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the post Matt. I have been a 17 caliber fan for quite a few years now. Got my first back in 2001, a 17 Ack Hornet barrel from Fred at Bullberry. I have a 17 Ack Bee that I had converted from a 17 HMR barrel on a Contender frame that shoots amazing. We will have to talk off line sometime and compare notes. Dennis