Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
I have a hard time believing that when a European conglomerate buys a small US company that bodes well for the US consumer. Walt cutting and running is understandable, when your ready to let go it's mostly about timing and the opportunity. He found both.
Walt Berger sold the company in 2000 to Spiveco. They fell on hard times and it was acquired in 2003 by the Sheeks family. Walt's in his 80's. How many on this forum have the stamina to run an operation as large as Bergers at that age? In my mind, the "cutting and running" pejorative is a poor choice of words and doesn't fit Walt Berger.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
realized they were over priced and if a hand made bullet is needed theres chan nagel? or that Hornadays or Noslers are available if a budget bullet is needed.

I think we can say goodbye to J4 jackets availability

ML
Would you say that they've been available? A long time ago sure. But recently.

Aaron
Old 10-19-2016, 11:33 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
Would you say that they've been available? A long time ago sure. But recently.

Aaron
True but iam sitting on 75K, J4 .20 caliber custom length jackets.

ML
Old 10-20-2016, 09:56 AM
Board Sponsor

Bummer, maybe. I agree, generally when larger corps buy-out, the smaller companies leans-up and less is available and many positions are cut due to existing positions in the larger co. From time to time things do work out well, and innovation gets a kick start.

As to any negative comments on them selling, that is certainly your opinion, but I don't blame them. If the price is right, heck yes I'd sell, keep me for a year to two years making the transition under a non-comp. and after that I walk with anyone that would like to come with me and open up a new shop. We see it happen all the time and generally to the benefit of all.

Just like when someone comes to me to tell me they are leaving to get another job, I hold no ill feelings toward them. If they can make a move to better their situation, then all the best to them. I certainly hate to loose good employees, but in the course of business, not every situation can be worked into all schedules. Be it time, money, or other.
Same applies here, if the money is good enough for them to sell or the situation of the current owners is at a place they feel it is a better choice, then I feel I have to respect that. Makes no difference what I think about the other company or what I fear may happen to the existing business. It is indeed hard to detach our emotional response from the logical one.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 10-20-2016, 12:49 PM

Default will stay in US ?

Next thing they'll say is Made in China on the box. sgtg out

PS. I should bite my tounge for even saying such a thing.

Last edited by sgtg; 10-20-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
Bummer, maybe. I agree, generally when larger corps buy-out, the smaller companies leans-up and less is available and many positions are cut due to existing positions in the larger co. From time to time things do work out well, and innovation gets a kick start.

As to any negative comments on them selling, that is certainly your opinion, but I don't blame them. If the price is right, heck yes I'd sell, keep me for a year to two years making the transition under a non-comp. and after that I walk with anyone that would like to come with me and open up a new shop. We see it happen all the time and generally to the benefit of all.

Just like when someone comes to me to tell me they are leaving to get another job, I hold no ill feelings toward them. If they can make a move to better their situation, then all the best to them. I certainly hate to loose good employees, but in the course of business, not every situation can be worked into all schedules. Be it time, money, or other.
Same applies here, if the money is good enough for them to sell or the situation of the current owners is at a place they feel it is a better choice, then I feel I have to respect that. Makes no difference what I think about the other company or what I fear may happen to the existing business. It is indeed hard to detach our emotional response from the logical one.

Very, very well put Mr. Reed!
Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 PM

Default Bereger bullet bought by Nammo

Yes, well said Reed.. No one should fault another for their decision to sell or move to a job they believe is better, or pays more money.
We are all in business or working for one, for the same goal. To better our future and put and save some money for our self and/or the family. As for Laupa and the parent company taking over, time will tell what and how they handle the Berger line. Bill K
Old 10-20-2016, 09:36 PM

If there are products you truly can't do without, I would make sure you have enough to last your shooting years. Did I just promote hoarding? It seems nothing stays the same, especially in the shooting world. I am afraid those changes may come faster in the future. Always nervous to see a shooting industry company change hands, usually changes for the worse follow.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
I have a hard time believing that when a European conglomerate buys a small US company that bodes well for the US consumer. Walt cutting and running is understandable, when your ready to let go it's mostly about timing and the opportunity. He found both.
This! The reduction of competition in the shooting industry is never good for us.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:36 PM

I'm hoping that Lapua will step in and help Berger with their manufacturing process. I find Lapua bullets to be the most consistent of all bullets. Its just their variety/options that sucks.