Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2017, 03:19 PM
Supporting Member

Default AR Bushmaster

30 years ago, when I was rich and single, my Dad had a yen for a Colt AR-15 A2 Sporter, so I got him one for Christmas. Eventually that got replaced by a Bushmaster Varminter, which I recently inherited as Dad's shooting is becoming more limited. He had worked with it for awhile, but was never overly impressed with its performance. I've found that it likes H335 and Z-max bullets pretty good.

3 shots, 100 yards, military brass

3 shots, 100 yards, military brass trimmed 1.745

5 shots, 100 yards, Lapua brass

For an AR, I'm pretty pleased. Fact is, for my shooting ability, it rivals my bolt guns.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:29 PM
Supporting Member

After Potatohead got elected 8 years+ back and everyone was buying everything they could lay hands on I finally succumbed to my friend Dan C.'s Purchase Mentoring. I figured I'd get one a those black plastic rifles I swore I'd never touch again as long as I lived back in 1969. At first there weren't any and then everyone's reordered stock showed up and dealers were choking on em.
My gun store guy gave me a heck of a deal on a Bushmaster Predator which is basically the Varminter with a shorter 20 inch barrel. After break-in which was a major pain I developed a load of 25.3 grains of Benchmark in weight segregated Federal brass I had collecting dust in the corner with a 55 grain V-Max and 7 1/2BR primer. To say I was amazed with it's accuracy would be a huge understatement, I was flabbergasted !!
This is a fairly typical 5 shot 100 yard group shot the last time it went to the range with me.

Those anti-gun idiots that swear to the ignorant masses that there is no sporting use for an AR rifle are stuffed full a crap as a Christmas goose !!!
This is the first shot I took at a living critter after load development and sight in. 287 yards as memory serves in a stout but predictable wind, 1 shot in his right ear! Now tell me it's not a sporting rifle Mr. Zumbo!

Sorry a little soap box time.
You've obviously got ya a shooter there nice "semi automatic "Sporting rifle" ain't it??! I'm with ya on it shooting as well as any factory .223 I've ever bought off the shelf and done nothing to.

Last edited by montdoug; 04-23-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:06 PM

Dang that is one nasty looking badger. Mean as heck!!
Great shot Doug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
After Potatohead got elected 8 years+ back and everyone was buying everything they could lay hands on I finally succumbed to my friend Dan C.'s Purchase Mentoring. I figured I'd get one a those black plastic rifles I swore I'd never touch again as long as I lived back in 1969. At first there weren't any and then everyone's reordered stock showed up and dealers were choking on em.
My gun store guy gave me a heck of a deal on a Bushmaster Predator which is basically the Varminter with a shorter 20 inch barrel. After break-in which was a major pain I developed a load of 25.3 grains of Benchmark in weight segregated Federal brass I had collecting dust in the corner with a 55 grain V-Max and 7 1/2BR primer. To say I was amazed with it's accuracy would be a huge understatement, I was flabbergasted !!
This is a fairly typical 5 shot 100 yard group shot the last time it went to the range with me.

Those anti-gun idiots that swear to the ignorant masses that there is no sporting use for an AR rifle are stuffed full a crap as a Christmas goose !!!
This is the first shot I took at a living critter after load development and sight in. 287 yards as memory serves in a shout but predictable wind, 1 shot in his right ear! Now tell me it's not a sporting rifle Mr. Zumbo!

Sorry a little soap box time.
You've obviously got ya a shooter there nice "semi automatic "Sporting rifle" ain't it??! I'm with ya on it shooting as well as any factory .223 I've ever bought off the shelf and done nothing to.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:07 PM

Well done, nice shooting. Looks like a keeper for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teancum1 View Post
30 years ago, when I was rich and single, my Dad had a yen for a Colt AR-15 A2 Sporter, so I got him one for Christmas. Eventually that got replaced by a Bushmaster Varminter, which I recently inherited as Dad's shooting is becoming more limited. He had worked with it for awhile, but was never overly impressed with its performance. I've found that it likes H335 and Z-max bullets pretty good.

3 shots, 100 yards, military brass

3 shots, 100 yards, military brass trimmed 1.745

5 shots, 100 yards, Lapua brass

For an AR, I'm pretty pleased. Fact is, for my shooting ability, it rivals my bolt guns.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:24 PM

I've got 3 ar's I built with quality parts, a 223 1-12, a 223 1-8, & and a 204 1-10, all with WOA barrels. They will match or beat any bolt gun I have, & I've got some great shooters. On good shooting skill days without a lot of wind, all 3 can shoot sub 1/2 MOA. My 204 with a fluted 24" WOA 1-10 twist & 40gr. Berger's, accounted for a .477 5 shot group at 200 yards shot by my buddy. Tell me AR's can't be sporting rifles!

Jim D
Old 04-23-2017, 06:34 PM

Nice job and good shooting. A big key to shooting an AR well is the use of good, quality bullets, not just FMJ blasting ammo. Built my first AR in the early '90's with a Bushmaster lower and a Wilson heavy barrel. Still have it in the back of the safe.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:52 PM

Default AR Bushmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Nice job and good shooting. A big key to shooting an AR well is the use of good, quality bullets, not just FMJ blasting ammo. Built my first AR in the early '90's with a Bushmaster lower and a Wilson heavy barrel. Still have it in the back of the safe.
A good barrel, good bullets and a good trigger, go a long way into making the sporting rifle run better than most believe it can. But you must control that trigger finger or you sure can burn through a lot of ammo, fast. Bill K
Old 04-23-2017, 11:36 PM
Supporting Member

The only thing better than an AR is an AR and a bunch of hogs to plink at..... I bought my first one in 1982 after I got back to Texas and I haven't been without one since. Currently have three....2 Rock Rivers and a Colt....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine