Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-26-2017, 04:04 AM

Default 17 Garin Ar15 project

G'day Folks,

After lurking here for a while, I decided to join up. Firstly thanks to everyone
for all the great info I have already absorbed. Especially 22 Boomer who I was lucky enough to bump into via another forum.

Now down to business. I am a commercial rabbit shooter in NZ and normally use a suppressed CZ 452 with a Shilen barrel in 17HMR. I want something with a bit more legs, but not as noisy as the suppressed 223 that I also use. I have looked at just about every option and ended up at 17 garin. 17vha was first choice but 4.6x30 brass is impossible to get here. I also need a semi auto. So 17 Garin ar15 it is.

The plan is a 20inch Lilja 1 in 9 barrel with pistol length gas system and adjustable gas block. As it will be a high volume gun, we are going to tig weld and remachine the bolt face to accept the 17 Garin properly. Locking lugs to be thinned out as required to clear the mag lips. Mags will be 15 rnd or maybe 30s M1 or 30 carbine mags tig welded into a modded steel 5 shot AR15 mag.

I know a few guys here have built similar guns so I would appreciate any feedback or advise on the above plan. Also would a low mass bolt carrier like the JP enterprises one help with cycling in this low energy situation.

Sorry about the wall of text. And thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Supporting Member

I have a Ray-Vin AR in .17 HMR, but if I could handle the weight, I'd get this:

https://www.franklinarmory.com/colle...17-wsm-rimfire

Piston driven, so it would run a lot cleaner, and factory ammo is relatively easy to come by around here, at least for now.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:16 PM

Nothing to add but seems like an interesting project. Keep us updated.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 PM
Supporting Member

Sounds interesting.

I am contemplating an AR project in 22-TCM (Mybe 17-TCM for you. ) IIRC, I believe that there may be mag well adapter specifically for the M1 Carbine magazines. Don't know if it is available in our neck of the woods but may be worth checking in to.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/5...k_adapter.html

Cheers,

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 04-26-2017, 11:41 PM

cmatera - yes they look nice but 17WSM is not that common here and expensive, so 17 garin is more appealing as I can reload to reduce costs. This is
a work gun so might fire 5-7000 rnds a year. so ammo cost adds up real quick.

260Ackley - I'll do updates as I go so anyone else is interested, maybe they can learn from my errors.

TOU - 22 boomer suggested 22 or 17 tcm as apparently in the US you can get an adapter to run PPSH43 mags in an AR. Cool idea but I wonder about feeding in a semi auto given the big shoulder the 17tcm would have. Ultimately i went with the garin system as m1 carbine brass is available here in NZ and Mr Garin supplies a complete system.
I like the Idea of everything in the one spot. That said I will start with 19 badger brass as it is a lot cheaper and not much work to final size etc.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:20 AM
Supporting Member

For volume shooting, I also have a 17-223 AR doesn't get any cheaper/easier to reload (at least in the US), a .19 Badger, and a .17 AH. Guess you have to go whati is most available to you where you live.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:01 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckp View Post
TOU - 22 boomer suggested 22 or 17 tcm as apparently in the US you can get an adapter to run PPSH43 mags in an AR. Cool idea but I wonder about feeding in a semi auto given the big shoulder the 17tcm would have. Ultimately i went with the garin system as m1 carbine brass is available here in NZ and Mr Garin supplies a complete system.
I like the Idea of everything in the one spot. That said I will start with 19 badger brass as it is a lot cheaper and not much work to final size etc.
Hey ckp,

Sorry I wasn't very clear...while a 22-TCM/17-TCM would be cool & I an thinking on building up one, I was thinking of an M1 Carbine magazine adapter that would work with your 17-Grain.

Cheers,

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 04-27-2017, 02:50 AM

cmatera - I bloke I know has both 17 rem and 17 fireball says his 20 garin is quite a bit quieter than both. This is an advantage for me. Even my 223 suppressed is very loud. I looked long and hard at 19 badger but the only bullet source being international was a deal breaker.

TOU - Sorry, yes, I think Olympic arms made them years ago and are now closed down, the adapters appear to be all in a big pile next to a unicorn standing at the end of a rainbow.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:11 AM

[quote=ckp;254443]. I looked long and hard at 19 badger but the only bullet source being international was a deal breaker.
Easy enough to get a swage die made, to reduce 20 cal bullets to 19.
Ken.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:05 PM
Supporting Member

True. I have a CZ 527 in .17 Fireball and a .204 Ruger AR. No recoil, but they are NOT quiet. I always thought the .20-.222 would a great balance of wind resistance and mild shooting, but sold the .222 and never got it done.