Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 10-31-2010, 01:12 PM

Default Blue Dot Reduced Loads

Want to try some reduced loads for .221 fireball. Have good detailed data from reloaders nest using 35-55 grain bullets all with Blue Dot and .223.

Calhoon's .223 reduced load data says to use two grains less powder for the .221fb, that sound right?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:41 PM

Default Jtf

As of late I have been scaring people with my Remington 588 converted to 17Mach IV antics.

NOW you are scaring me ! This site has many good people that are concerned about our well being. Those that caution me have my best interest at heart.

There are more than a few instances where people have hurt their weapons and or themselves with the Blue Dot reduced loads. I would be very cautious about such activities.

One always wonders if it were a double charge - in which case damage would be expected.

There are some powders, normal rifle powders, that have shown tolerance to light charges but as you know Blue Dot is more of a shotgun and pistol powder.

I would just caution you about this idea. Others will come along soon and give their ideas.

John
Old 10-31-2010, 04:04 PM

Take a look at James Calhoon's Blue Dot info and see what you think. jamescalhoon, to bee or .223

I'm about to try some Blue Dot loads in both a CZ .221fb and a Savage .223.
I am more concerned with too lightly charged loads building too much pressure than accidently double charging a case.

Last edited by jtf; 10-31-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:39 PM

Default Jtf

In my post I meant Remington 580 not 588 - got that fixed.

I hear you and understand your point but something strange has been know to happen using reduced loads with Blue Dot powder in the past.

Through concentration and attention to detail one should be able to avoid the double charge. For many years I have loaded 38 Special with 2.7 to 3.0 grains of Bullseye and there is plenty of room in there and many have done it with disastrous results.

You are going to extrapolate between the 223 and the 221 even more complicated.

Be carefull.

John
Old 10-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Just my opinion, but I think Hodgdon's reduced charge recomendations using Trail Boss or H4895 would be the safest data around.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Last edited by RareBear; 10-31-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Supporting Member

Default reduced loads

I can't speak for the 221FB reduced load, frankly have never heard anyone here mention anything other than the 223 with Blue Dot. I hae shot a lot of the reduced loads in the 223 without incident. One thing is obvious though, you can double charge the 223 with Blue Dot if you aren't paying attention. I use an electronic powder thrower when doing mine and seat right after charging each individual case. I'm not familiar with Calhouns recommendation for loading the 221FB with a reduced load.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:49 PM

From everything I have read, the Blue Dot loads are a reduced velocity, but not necessarily a reduced PEAK pressure load. I have a buddy who disassemble a M77 Ruger in 223 with a 'reduced' Blue Dot load. Please be careful. Blue Dot changes pressure quickly with changes in charge.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

I too...would go with trail boss or 4895. good luck, and keep your eyes!

larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Supporting Member

1983 Hercules reloading data.....why it is no longer listed in newer manuals is up for speculation.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Well there it is in print from a powder manufacturer and preasures published to boot.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Last edited by RareBear; 11-02-2010 at 04:16 AM.