Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2016, 11:35 PM

Default Air Rifles

Pretty sure I have asked this here before but, I am going to ask again since I have such a short attention span.

Let's say a guy was looking for a decent, affordable air rifle for starlings and basic entertainment around the house. Let's also say he thought an RWS Model 34 would fill the bill. Anyone agree/disagree or suggestions for alternatives to be considered?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:54 PM
Supporting Member

RWS 34 is easily the best "bang" for the buck...Great trigger, accurate, well made, inexpensive....PERFECT!

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 06-17-2016, 11:58 PM
Supporting Member

I have a Benjamin Discovery PCP gun in .17 cal. Think it was $300.00 and worth every penny. Pump it up to 1000lbs and shoot around 30 shots before you need to refill it. Around 60 strokes on the pump will fill it.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:59 PM

I got a great deal on a used RWS 48 and love it!
Old 06-18-2016, 12:38 AM

Considerations- Spingers are heavy and they don't shoot anywhere near as forgiving as a pnuematic. Break barrel springers are not consistent shooters due to the barrel being moved every shot. I had a Diana RWS 48 .22 with a T6 trigger that was nice until I starter using my Benjamin 312.

If I was to buy a air rifle for close quarters dispatch it would be one for these-

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-r...-discovery-178

http://www.airforceairguns.com/TalonP-s/69.htm

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/benjamin-392

After shooting pnuematic its hard to go back. Good Luck...
Old 06-18-2016, 01:01 AM
Supporting Member

Default Good rifle the RWS 34....

I like the Beeman R9 a little better, and a little more money BUT the RWS 34 is right up there with the R9. One major upgrade that ANY spring piston air rifle would benefit from is a custom tune! It makes the firing cycle and consistency noticeably better!
In my opinion most of the $150-$200 'high velocity' spring piston break barrel pellet rifles are not worth the money.
You will be able to shoot a quality air rifle often so don't scrimp on quality! You'll spend $400-$500+ on a deer rifle you don't get to shoot often, so put that amount into a high quality pellet rifle and enjoy it every day if you wish!

Last edited by Alan in GA; 06-18-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:47 AM

I have a under barrel cocking springer and a pneumatic. Although the springer will hit English sparrows at distances that I find hard to believe, the pneumatic will do the same, but they are head shots!
A springer has a learning curve to shoot one well and most don't master it, that is why the Nitro Pistons are popular. The PCP's shoot nice from the get go and that Discovery is a nice, inexpensive one.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:19 AM
Supporting Member

Default air rifle

I bought a break open barrel type from Cabelas that shoot the fancy gold colored ammo at 1200fps but not real pleased with the accuracy and boy does it crack! Like .22 LR. It is an RWS I only paid about $150.00 but accuracy is everything and this gun just doesn't fit the bill. Wish I were of more help to you. But interested in the suggestions you get. Ralph
Old 06-18-2016, 12:32 PM

I shoot my R9 .20 quite a bit. Pretty much just agree with what everyone else has said. Springers aren't easy to master, but they can be. Having a quality air rifle to play with around with in the yard is something everyone should enjoy.

I do find the frequent trigger time does help slow the oxidation process. I'm getting rustier every year, but more slowly than if I didn't get to shoot the air rifle a lot in the summer months.

- DAA
Old 06-18-2016, 01:21 PM
Banned

Default Springer

I got a crosman storm one of the Walmart springers , I got it for shooting squirrels , crows, and any other pests that make it tou yard . I've had the rifle for four years now and zero problems! I don't shoot it a lot I got it for one thing and Thats pest control. I would think of you were going to shoot a lot get the high dollar rifle if not go to Walmart get a Gamo and you'll do just fine.