Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-18-2016, 02:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default high dollar air rifles.....

I balked at purchasing a high quality air rifle for many years as I pondered and read about 'high dollar/quality' air rifles. Finally bought a Beeman R9 and discovered I had been missing out.
Later years I bought 5 or 6 precharged [scuba/hand pump] rifles, ranging from $450 to $850 and THAT is an experience in itself! Highest quality air rifle shooting.
However, a TUNED spring piston air rifle, even a 'break barrel' rifle is a very satisfying gun. One of my two (three?) R9 rifles in .177 would group 1.5" at........ 95 yards. German barrels are top notch. I used my spring piston air rifles for WORK as well, shooting birds and rats inside commercial stores at night. You might have seen the article in an older VARMINT HUNTER MAGAZINE titled "Death in the Potato Chip Aisle", that was an article about me 'working' in commercial accounts at night, very well written by Jock Elliot who wrote it much better than any attempt I could make.
By the way, 'break barrel' rifles can be very accurate even though they look as though they couldn't be consistent!

Author of that article:
Jock Elliott
Airgun writer,
correspondent, Precision Shooting Magazine
author, "Elliott on Airguns"

Last edited by Alan in GA; 06-18-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:07 PM
Supporting Member

I purchased a refurbished R-7 in 177 when in Anaheim 15+ years ago from the Beeman factory and really enjoyed the ability to use a light trigger and hit targets at much longer distance than my old crossman pump pellet rifles.

A few years ago I took the big jump to PCP Benjamin Maurader in 22 caliber, mainly due to hunting laws in Ca, and reading how much more effective the larger pellets are at killing power . The Marauder has a very good, sub 10 ounce adjustable trigger, 2 stage, and the gun shoots almost as good as a 22lr at 75 yards, ie around 1/2" when there is no wind and I don't pull a shot. The negative is, to do it right don't get an air pump, get an SCBA tank, but it and the needed regulator/ hose set will cost near $600, or about the same as the bare gun. Or get a 2000 psi used steel SCUBA tank for cheap, $150 for the regulator. The biggest issue I see with the pump, reports of poor quality parts, and if I am out hunting I don't want to have to pump the gun up and then after that hard work go back to shooting. I have read that it takes a lot of pumps and energy to pump an air rifle to 2500-3000psi, too many bad reports for me not to get the SCBA "used" tank. I am sure those who use the air pump love their pump, or would have converted to an air tank! The pump is pretty expensive. Pyramid has good review video's as well.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjam...fle_Combo/3541

And either direction you go, get an air rifle, side focus scope with exposed turrets.

Here is a link to the Elliot articles
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/ElliottOnAirguns.html

Good luck on your choice, either way you will enjoy a good pellet rifle, and I believe shooting them allow better target acquisition and trigger control for big game hunting. Inexpensive practice, and fun.

Allen
Old 06-18-2016, 03:14 PM
Banned

Default Springer

I know one thing there powerful!! I've killed crowd and squirrel rabbits at 35 yes with mine!
Old 06-18-2016, 03:35 PM
Supporting Member

Default pcp

If you go the PCP route and use a pump, one thing to keep in mind is you need a dryer for the pump. You are really better off getting a tank of some sort. Failure to use dry air will result in rusty internals and a pricey paperweight.
Drew
Old 06-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Supporting Member

Had a couple of hand pumps.... No more for me! SCUBA tank all the way!
The Marauder in .25 cal is a super rifle with weight possibly the only downside.
Killed a crow at 62 yards with mine. Very accurate and powerful.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:37 PM

I bypassed the springers and jumped in with both feet and got a air arms 500fac. It was a single shot and sometimes a quick follow up was needed so I upgraded to a 510fac which is a 10 shot repeater and I've never looked back. Well a kaliber cricket 25 is on my want list among other things. The scuba tank was around $200 and fill hose was about $60 I think from air hog and that is a 3000psi tank not one of those $$$$$ carbon fiber ones.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:42 PM

In my air rifle days I always used Theobens ( now alas gone) and an Original 45. I think the latter is now sold under the RWS brand. If not then they look very similar.

I would say that a grey squirrel is a very tough critter, my 177 Original would kill them but I never had a pass through. Usually the pellet ( RWS Superdomes) were under the skin on the far side. Maybe a 20 or 22 cal would do a better job especially as you dont seem to be restricted power wise in the US.

A
Old 06-18-2016, 06:56 PM
Supporting Member

Good information on the aluminum scuba tank, looks like certification is needed every 5 years. When I bought my Woven tank all I could find were 2000psi tanks, might have missed the 3kpsi aluminum, way cheaper than my tank, but my 4kpsi and my ability to fill for free, ahem.... lasts a good while.

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-di...-50cf-cylinder

Your fill hose must not have a gauge? I know the scuba fittings are less than the SCBA threaded fittings for cost. Glad they can be had for less $, I think a pump is $150+.....

I would like to step up to a 25 Marauder, but mine drives pellets clean through most critters to 75 yards! Very quiet too.

Last edited by hemiallen; 06-18-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:37 PM

Got one of these about three years ago when they had refurbished ones for just over $200 shipped. Its been my crow hammer along with my Fox Pro caller. Just hide sit back and switch on crow fight. Mine is the .177 of course.

http://www.airgundepot.com/diana-rws-48-air-rifle.html

Last edited by Oleman; 06-18-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:22 PM
Banned

Default Springer

That's the one I want! But?