Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-24-2016, 01:43 AM
Supporting Member

Doug, couple of questions for you, others more techy might chip in

Would it have been easier re dies and brass to go for the 19 calhoon hornet but run a 20cal neck?

I don't know if you would need to do anything to the forster 19 dies except use a 20 cal expander

I guess the 20 Ackley case would be very similar to the Calhoon

Nice rifle mate

Johno
Old 04-24-2016, 03:38 AM
Supporting Member

I have no idea Johno. I've never had anything to do with any of the 19's. I'm a .17 and .20 guy, to well set up in them to start new with a caliber that only has one projectile source.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:34 AM
Supporting Member

Doug I was thinking along the lines of it being cheaper for non custom dies and also Calhoon sells the formed brass. I guess the brass might still work for you and save time, I know how much you hate sitting out the range fireforming

Johno
Old 04-24-2016, 07:48 AM
Supporting Member

Johno, Todd at the Woodchuck den stocks the Redding 20AH dies so there shouldn't be any problem getting dies..........Kiwi
Old 04-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Supporting Member

Ahhhhm as I have said no nuilds for old Johno, 67 yesterday I thought I would do this through the back door.

Yes I happen to have a set if 19 hornet dies and also 200 fireformed cases, as ive got a badger was really just wondering if this would be simple.

Maybe a pre chambered pac nor using the 19 reamer on a 20 cal barrel then a 20 neck reamer

Would the dies need any work or would just the 20 cal expander ball do the job.

This is not a thread hijack, i'm asking for Doug's benifit

Johno
Old 04-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Supporting Member

But Johno, I like forming brass . Besides it's all done except for shooting all of em to do the final fire-forming and it's gonna have to stop raining so the gophers come up for that. Fire-forming is done while smucking gophers and that part I enjoy as well .
I appreciate your input on it though and in fact I talked to Jim Calhoon about 10 days back and a couple more of his CZ 527 single shot followers are heading to my house as I type this.
As for dies, I see me using the .20 Ackley a lot so I'm going all in on a set of custom dies that were recommended to me by Ray H., Whidden makes em, here's a link to em.

http://www.whiddengunworks.com/custom-reloading-dies/

A custom Redding Deluxe set of .20 Ackley Hornet dies from Sinclair/Brownells is $279.99 plus shipping. Gal at Pacific Tool where the reamer we used was made told me they have over 20 different reamer prints for the .20 Ackley Hornet that all have some variation or the other so having the dies made specifically for my chamber sounds like a good plan, besides, the Whidden Dies came with a real uptown send off and I really like micrometer seaters.
I'm with ya on this being the last new project though Johno, this time for sure !
Old 04-26-2016, 04:08 AM
Supporting Member

Default Crown logic..... Maybe...

I cut the barrel face, crown and 'bore lips' on my PAC Nor Super match 3 groove in 17 Mach IV as close as I could to a Parabolic curve. Supposed to reflect and project sound waves directly AWAY.
Figured if I miss the gopher with the V Max I'd at least shatter his skull with sound/pulse waves.
Don't laugh, picture of crown coming.
(Actually I was wondering if it would send some of the muzzle blast away from me).
Old 04-26-2016, 12:36 PM
Supporting Member

Doug
I've a mower like that but it;s a lot dirtier.

I mow 4 acres and it's a downright pleasure to mow.

Nice rifle Doug. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.