Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2016, 05:36 PM

Default Remington Golden Bullets .22LRHP

Has anyone tried these? I seem to have over 1,000 of them now, but haven't shot any as of yet.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:25 PM
Supporting Member

I shoot them out of a model 75 Winchester target. 3/8--1/2" @ 50 yards. Seems to be inconsistent listening to the report of the rifle. Crack, bang etc.
I don't shoot competition and they work well for what I use the rifle for. Our local Wally world seems to get them on a fairly regular basis so that's what I've been using.

Aaron
Old 04-17-2016, 06:35 PM

I have purchased and used these from the 100 packs and the carton type containers.

My two No.1's seem to like them, will touch at 25yds; so ok for me. They are high speed and hollow pointed, which is a good plinking/hunting round.

I tend to try to stay away from the high speed stuff, shoot a lot of ammo thru High Standards, but the rifles do like the golden bullet so far.

Seems readily available for a while now.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:27 AM

Funny this thread came up, i bought a large pack of them a few years ago and finally gave them a whirl this weekend. My ruger 77/22 VT LOVES THEM. 3/8" groups at 50 yards and consistent as heck.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:29 PM

Tks guys - my opening post was incorrect - it should have read, well over 10,000 rounds - but only 8,500 of the Golden Bullets. I was able to stock up for after a long stretch without any in the stores.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:44 PM

I just finished shooting 100 today, they all functioned fine, I did notice that their external finish is sort of rough, they load into a magazine harder than the Aguila I usually shoot. They also left my fingers covered in some sort of gold glitter and I could see it falling off as I loaded the magazine, don't know if it part of the lube they use or what it is. Accuracy seemed fine and they had a little more recoil than the Aguila HV that is 1,240fps or so. If I have a choice I will pass on them next time. Larry
Old 04-19-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
I just finished shooting 100 today, they all functioned fine, I did notice that their external finish is sort of rough, they load into a magazine harder than the Aguila I usually shoot. They also left my fingers covered in some sort of gold glitter and I could see it falling off as I loaded the magazine, don't know if it part of the lube they use or what it is. Accuracy seemed fine and they had a little more recoil than the Aguila HV that is 1,240fps or so. If I have a choice I will pass on them next time. Larry
Thanks for that - I'll have to check them.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:43 PM

years ago before stroke-itis hit me, I shot ga-zillions of ground squirrels with a ruger mk 11 9''-10'' bbl from 50-100 yds . I bought a neil jones ''taper slide'', incrementally marked headspace sorter. they call it '22 rimfire accuracy gauge'. i'd buy cheap rim-fire ammo, thunderbolts and the like, 40 grain lead, std velocity for shots 60 yd. or less and rem golden high velocity, copper coated, over 60 to 100 yds. bullet drop vs. velocity. i'd sort bullets with the tv on and a cold brew. when you sort cheaper ammo by headspace [rim thickness], you turn it into less expensive target grade ammo. save $$$$$$. measure rim thickness on top of the line eley, federal, wolf, etc. and you will find very accurate rim thickness readings. I think 'bald eagle' has one with a dial indicator to read. I am a strong advocate for sorting both center-fire and rim fire for various reasons and applications.------------ anshutz 540, ddl set trigger, model 52 C hvy., bull, kinyon trigger, rem 540x target. unertls or lymans
Old 04-24-2016, 06:00 PM
Supporting Member

Default surprised

I'm surprised at the comments on these. To me they are the dirtiest, most inconsistent, and accuracy challenged 22lr HV round you can buy. Before everyone started running around and claiming the sky was falling and decent bulk or even mid price 22lr availability dried up, these were the last option you would go to. Misfires were so common that I would refuse to use them when qualifying Boy Scouts for their rifle merit badge. Weighing and measuring rim thickness basically told the truth, all over the map. It was my preferred ammo to offer up when family showed up to shoot cans at 50 ft.

Sign me, not a fan of the Golden Bullet
Old 04-24-2016, 06:16 PM

I had read the same thing about them, but found a 100 ct box cheap so tried them. Like I said, some gold stuff flaked off and they seemed sort of rough on the outside, but they all fired and ejected from my auto pistol. I now have about 4,000 rounds through it with different ammo and have yet to have a ftf, lots of fte with the SV ammo, so I am guessing I need a different recoil spring. Larry