Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by long shot View Post
Nice rifle, should be a shooter. That particular type of crown has been around a long time. It's originally known as the "recessed target crown". All my aftermarket barrels wear it and a few factory ones I have recrowned also. It's less time consuming to cut than an 11* target crown.

Aaron
You can probably find a jillion pictures of "recessed target crown" images on the internet and they will all be slightly different. One characteristic is that the recess is generally fairly shallow on those crowns to be effective as a "target crown".

The one that montdoug has shown and the ones I'm referring to are cut far deeper than a normal recessed target crown. The design may not be the best from a pure accuracy point of view but they provide very good (read that as extra) muzzle protection. You'd practically have to poke something into the barrel end to cause damage to the rifling.

That's probably why PacNor named it like they did.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Nice rifle, should be a shooter. That particular type of crown has been around a long time. It's originally known as the "recessed target crown". All my aftermarket barrels wear it and a few factory ones I have recrowned also. It's less time consuming to cut than an 11* target crown.

Aaron
Funny I've never seen it before Aaron, I must not get out much . Maybe it's just that Pac-Nor is talking about it now and all my .17 and .20's have Pac-Nor barrels on em. There is however a vague tingling of a memory of the term "recessed target crown". Living in small towns is a little secluded from being able to see different things out there unless ya wallet up and buy em over the phone or on line now. I gotta say I'm much more attracted to the term "recessed target crown" as opposed to "floor-board crown" .
Thanks for renaming it, just feels better now .

Posted this while you were typing BCB. Whatever they call it I think it looks good and if I get tired of it I just have it recrowned.

Last edited by montdoug; 04-22-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:16 PM
Supporting Member

There are indeed beau-coups pics of em when ya call it a recessed target crown, maybe my memory's as bad as the Bride says it is ? Course I only been shooting for around 60 years, kinda scary when ya think of it like that .
Old 04-22-2016, 02:35 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
You guy'll be pleased to know it's all mowed now . Earliest I've ever mowed I think.

Zero turn I assume...
Old 04-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
There are indeed beau-coups pics of em when ya call it a recessed target crown, maybe my memory's as bad as the Bride says it is ? Course I only been shooting for around 60 years, kinda scary when ya think of it like that .

When I went through TSJC's GS program back in 1980 the machinist instructor was a big advocate of that type of crown. It's easy to cut and they provide very good accuracy as well as protection. There was no standard as to how deep one wanted to make it just the basic concept of relieving the bore from the muzzle by cutting a flat recess and chamfering the finish line of the relief. He left it up to the individual as to how far you wanted to take it. I have cut them as shallow as .050 and as deep as .125" Doesn't seem to effect the accuracy as to the depth they are cut. Of course the deeper they are cut the more "protection" they will provide just in case one has the desire to use it as a rock bar......

Aaron
Old 04-22-2016, 07:35 PM
Supporting Member

That's similar to the crown I have done on all my rifles. However, since I started using suppressors on my center fire rifles the outside portion of the end of the barrel gets cut away, but I never rest the end of my barrels on the floor anyway.

I do use nylon brushes when I clean my barrels and the 60º bevel right at the end of the bore is supposed to protect the end of the barrel when the brush exits or enters the muzzle.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-22-2016, 08:58 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
When I went through TSJC's GS program back in 1980 the machinist instructor was a big advocate of that type of crown. It's easy to cut and they provide very good accuracy as well as protection. There was no standard as to how deep one wanted to make it just the basic concept of relieving the bore from the muzzle by cutting a flat recess and chamfering the finish line of the relief. He left it up to the individual as to how far you wanted to take it. I have cut them as shallow as .050 and as deep as .125" Doesn't seem to effect the accuracy as to the depth they are cut. Of course the deeper they are cut the more "protection" they will provide just in case one has the desire to use it as a rock bar......

Aaron
An argument for the idea that "there's not really anything new under the sun". That is why I posted that you could probably find a jillion pictures....maybe I should have said variations instead of pictures.

For BR type rifles, I prefer a shallow "recessed target crown" for muzzle protection and to allow escaping gases to blow completely outward and away from the exiting bullet at the muzzle with no chance of escaping gas turbulence from hitting barrel metal and "bouncing 'back" on the bullet as it exits. Maybe old school to some but the concept has worked over time for a lot of BR shooters.

For a few hunting rifles that I've had built by this smith, I've had him cut this deeper crown that he suggested. It provides additional muzzle protection and it looks good. And I doubt from the accuracy of his hunting style rifles that it has affected accuracy, but this is the internet and someone might try to tell you it could greatly affect accuracy, I suppose. I haven't experienced that with this deep cut crown.

And I don't position any of my rifles muzzle down either except to let Lock-Eze drain from them after cleaning............

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-23-2016 at 03:10 AM. Reason: clarity............
Old 04-23-2016, 02:52 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
Zero turn I assume...
Is there any other kind ??

Old 04-23-2016, 03:06 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the comeback. I'll relay your info to him. I think he was figuring that if his std. Hornet was that fast, the 20 should be quicker, or at least as. Thanks again and have fun with yours,Tom.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:23 PM

Lawn looks really good, Doug, but not as good as that rifle.